Mr. Black OSU is Turning Tables

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

This past year Oklahoma State University inducted its FIRST Mr. Black OSU into the long linage of royalty here on campus.

Turning the Tables is his campaign for the 2016-2017 seasons, but continue reading just to find out how he is making an impact on campus.

~~~

Mr. Black OSU is none other than, Anthony Hardimon whom is a senior here at Oklahoma State University.

From coming here to OSU from Spencer, Oklahoma, he has decided to major in Construction Management Technology during his time here.

Below you will find his interview with our Her Campus Writer Tia Briggs, on how he is making an impact on campus, and what he loves about Oklahoma State!

~~~

Q #1- I know it’s exciting to have been chosen as The First Mr. Black OSU!! The new platforms and doors you have opened for men—especially black men—at Oklahoma State University is amazing! What made you want to join the pageant and run for Mr. Black OSU?

A: I joined the pageant at first, because I always wanted to see what it was like to participate in a pageant, but I soon realized that I actually had what it takes to represent this school as Mr. Black OSU. I feel as if I carry myself in a way that would really uphold what it means to be Mr. Black OSU.

Q #2-What would you say your most memorable moment during the whole process of the pageant was?

A: My most memorable moment was coming up with my platform “Turning The Tables”. I remember brainstorming about what the perfect platform would be for me, and then it hit me. I really enjoy DJ’in, and I am devoted follower of Christ, so therefore I put together “Turning The Tables” in order to influence more college students to get back involved in church, and bettering their relationship with God.

Q #3- How do you feel about breaking barriers within a PWI (Predominantly White Institution), and who are three people in your life that have been an influence for you & the successes you have achieved while in college?

A: I feel as if I was very equipped to break barriers within my PWI. I just really want to prove a point that you can do anything you put your mind to as long as you keep God first, work hard, and believe in yourself. Three people that have influenced me the most is my Mom, Grandma, and Big Sister. They are always in my corner, and they keep me motivated to do more.

Q #4- What advice do you have for young black men here at OSU?

A: I would tell them all, to always be conscious of the image that you are portraying of yourself. First impressions are very important, and we often start off with a negative one, so always put your best foot forward, and carry yourself like the King that you are.

Q #5- You are very active on the campus! Could you tell us some of the organizations you are a part of, and how has being involved shaped your college experience?

A: I am apart of Collegiate Outreach, a bible study put on by college students, African-American Association, and now Mr. Black OSU. It feels good to be involved, because it gives me ways to stay busy, and being apart of these organizations has given me the opportunity to meet some great people that turned out to be life long friends.

Q #6- What advice would you give college students about the importance of being involved on their college campuses?

A: I would tell them, that not only does being involved offer you amazing times with great people, and equips you to work side by side with numerous people to achieve a common goal, but it is also something that future employers look at when hiring. They love to see someone who just isn’t book smart, but shows that they know how to deal with people and be social.

Q #7- I know that having this title does a lot for you, but what does it mean for people on our campus? In what ways have you reached out to the students of Oklahoma State University?

A: Since having this title, I have organized a bus to pick students and I up on Sunday mornings to take us to my home church, The Net Church, in Oklahoma City, so that we can have a church to call home while here in college. The bus started off with about 12 students, and now we have well over 30 students every Sunday morning riding the bus. 

Q #8- With all that you’ve accomplished this far, what are your next big steps?

A: My next big steps are to continue building my upcoming brand that I am about release, and to continue using my platform as Mr. Black OSU to reach students, and to set myself up for success post-graduation.

Philippians 4:13, “ I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me”.

“I will always put my best foot forward knowing that I will succeed, because God has my back.”

– Mr. Black OSU, Anthony Hardimon

Twitter: @MrBlackOSU          

I am a Junior at Oklahoma State University majoring in Psychology minoring in philosophy with an option in pre-law. I love to write and read, and love magazines!