This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

At this point in our lives we have all had a broken heart. Whether that be getting broken up with or reluctantly leaving a person that seems toxic. Most of the time the feelings you are feeling during a break up are best explained through song. Brett Young hits the mark on all of the emotions you feel when trying to move on in his song “Memory Won’t Let Me.”

“All my friends say that they’re happy that I am moving on”

We all have those friends that push you to get out of your break up blues and when they see you with another person they think you have moved on. But as you can see later on in the song this person is sometimes just a filler for the person that you are missing.

“You’re still the only person that feels like home”

The feelings of comfortability are hard to shake when you are forced to let go of someone. The person that was your everything suddenly becomes nothing, but it is always a struggle to keep to these feelings to yourself.

“Every time I’m holding her; I’m really holding you”

Finding yourself in the arms of another person is always a struggle. I felt like I was using every other guy I went out with, because they were just a replacement for the person I really wanted. Even though this thought sucks everyone does it. We all strive to fill that hole.

“Your memory won’t let me go”

This is the main part of the song, and the main feelings that come up when you’ve just been dumped. It is easy for everyone to tell you to let someone go, but when it feels like the idea of that person is still holding onto you it is impossible to move on. Getting past the idea of the missing person is the hardest part.