Meeting the Parents: When is the Right Time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Things are developing at a good speed, you guys have been on plenty of dates and you get butterflies at the sound of his voice. Things are better than you could ever imagine. So, you think it’s time to move onto the next step, but one question remains. Is it the right time to meet the parents?

Depending on the relationship, the bond you have and what your parents are like will all play a part on what the right time is.

Considering that I am trying to figure out when my boyfriend should meet my parents, I decided to get some anonymous help.

1. “The right time to meet the parents is when you guys are ready…plain and simple”

2. “Do not force it, when it happens it happens”

3. “Wait as long as you can. You would hate for them to meet and then you guys break up”

4. “A wedding would be the perfect place to meet. It lightens the mood”

5. “If they are not ready to be grilled and get “the talk,” then wait it out”

6. “You cannot really put a time restriction on something like that”  

After hearing this, I believe that there are strong points to each comment. Rushing into meeting the parents could yield some very bad consequences and that is something that we are all trying to avoid. At the end of the day, the relationship is centered on the two of you, so while your parents may be ready, you have to make sure the both of you are, as well. Meeting the parents can be overwhelming, so it is always good to make sure the relationship is strong enough to withstand the good and the bad.The perfect time will come, so no worries!