This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I believe most women will remember where they were when they heard the news. I sure do. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court Justice, dead at 87” was splashed across the headlines. Many women will definitely remember the visceral fear that followed these words. They felt the fear of every woman’s rights coming into question, without anyone there to fight for us. Without this powerhouse of a woman protecting us, who would?

When I heard of Ginsberg’s death, I was meeting a very new friend of mine’s family. We hadn’t yet gotten into the talk of our political beliefs, but within minutes of meeting her family, it was very clear to me that ours didn’t align. “Did you hear about that Liberal Justice that died?” caught me off guard, I hadn’t heard, and the only thing I could do was shake my head. “Let’s hope Trump can fill her spot with a conservative before the election” was the following sentence that made my growing dread feel insurmountable. A woman who had stood for gender equality for decades was now lost to us when we desperately needed her.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg spent her life fighting. She fought for an education, she fought for people to take her seriously, she fought for women’s rights, and she fought an illness that eventually stole her life. Justice Ginsburg was an icon, a feminist leader that many looked up to. She was an activist who knew how to change with the times and did her very best to stand up for those who needed a voice. She was an absolute force to be reckoned with, with notable achievements of hers being the ruling that allowed women to attend the Virginia Military Institute, voting against state laws that banned same sex marriage, and striving for affordable health care. She fought to make America a better place, a good place, especially for women.

Ginsburg’s death begs the question, “What happens now?” and leaves many with a feeling of helplessness. With an election looming and the constant attack on women’s rights, it is important to pay attention. If a Justice is appointed under the Trump presidency, this means that the supreme court will be even more politically conservative than it currently is. Should this happen, we’re looking at a lifetime of conservative policies, meaning that the rights of women and all members of the LGBTQ+ community will come into question. 

We are in this together, it’s up to us to stand up for women’s rights. I implore every woman to listen, read, and watch what is going on in the world right now. Pay attention, draw your own conclusions, and make your beliefs be unshakable. Stand up for what’s right and be loud about it. Register to vote and then get your friends to register to vote. Drag someone with you to an in-person polling place or fill out your mail-in ballet with a friend. Now is the time for action. We can feel sad over the death of someone who stood tall for so long, but now is not the time to be silent. There is no better way to honor Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and ourselves, than to stand strong and united. 

I'm at Freshman at Oklahoma State University currently majoring in zoology but we'll see ;).