How To Have A Happy and Healthy Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

We all see those elderly couples sitting at the football games or restaurants holding hands and looking madly in love. They look like they never grew out of the honeymoon stage and we can’t help but think, someday I want a love like that! But what does that entail? There are a few ways that people can have a healthy and happy relationship, so that one day you can be like that old couple. After asking around what people think makes a happy and healthy relationship I got a few of the same answers.

Trust. This seems like it would be simple, but trust is one of the hardest things to achieve in a relationship. Many people want to say “well because of my past I don’t trust this new person.” Well guess what, this new person wasn’t the one who lost your trust in the past. It is important to leave the past in the past. Trust the person you are with until they give you a reason not to trust them. Then if the trust is really ruined it is important to understand the relationship will never be at its best because trust is key. I’m sure we have all seen a quote like “you can have the keys to the car but it won’t go anywhere without gas” is the same with a relationship and trust.

Humor. Having a sense of humor when it comes to your significant other is important as well. Keeping things light and humorous will guarantee a happier relationship.

Respect. It is crucial to respect your significant other. You cannot expect to have a happy relationship if there is no respect. If there is not encouragement and respect for the others feelings or emotions it will just cause problems.

Exercise. I saw something the other day that said “a couple that works out together, stays together”. It is intimidating to work out with a new boyfriend because we always want to look our best. But guys do like it when they see a girl working out, especially if that girl is theirs. It is nice to see that the person cares about themselves health wise enough to work out.

Love. You cannot have a relationship that last forever if you do not love the person and if you are not in love with the person. Make sure that you really do love the person, and that they love you. There is no need to lead a person on if it just isn’t there. And most importantly love yourself.

Having a happy and healthy relationship is something that comes natural but it is also has to be something that is worked on. Always keep in mind that being happy and healthy in a relationship is possible but you also have to be happy and healthy with yourself. Have fun, trust each other, have a sense of humor, exercise and love yourself and each other. With all that a happy and healthy relationship will happen on its own.