Homecoming 2012 Winners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Oklahoma State University has the greatest homecoming in the nation. Approximately 50,000 live in Stillwater, Okla. with about 35,000 residents who are students. The city swells to occupy 85,000 people for this one weekend to honor OSU traditions. Events include Harvest Carnival, Hester Street painting, Football Frenzy tournament, the sign competition, alumni receptions, Sea of Orange parade and the Walkaround to see the Greek community’s house decorations. 

This year, OSU played Iowa State for its homecoming game, winning 31-10. Walkaround was the night before the game followed by a spirit rally when some awards were announced. Harvest Carnival, sign and the spirit award were each announced. Winners in each category for sign were Theta Tau, Kamm/Peterson/Friend and Alpha Chi Omega/FarmHouse. Winners in each category for Harvest Carnival were Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow, Zink/Allen/Booker/Stinchcomb/North Monroe and Chi Omega/Alpha Gamma Rho. Winners for spirit were College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Wentz Hall and Gamma Phi Beta/Sigma Phi Epsilon.

During half time, Homecoming King and Queen, winners of the house decorations and overall sweepstakes are announced. King and Queen were Riley Pagett and Kylie Roper. House decoration winner was Chi Omega/Alpha Gamma Rho, who also won the Greek Life sweepstakes. Other sweepstakes winners were Oklahoma Collegiate Cattlemen’s Association and Oklahoma Collegiate Cattlewomen’s Association and Parker Hall.

Planning for OSU’s homecoming celebration is year-round and the planning for homecoming 2013 is expected to start soon. It could not be done without the Homecoming Executive Committee, Big Committee or the alumni and future cowboys who come every year to support OSU students. To learn more about the homecoming festivities or the other winners, visit http://orangeconnection.org/s/860/homecoming-interior.aspx?sid=860&gid=1…. Live Orange!

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.