Getting Creative with Cutoffs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

High-waisted jean cut-offs have been popular for awhile now. You can wear them with a T-shirt to class for that comfy look, or dress them up with a cute top and flats when you go out with your girlfriends.

It’s easy and cheap to make your own jean shorts. Find an old pair of jeans at a resale shop in your size. Once you get them home, try them on and cut off the legs at an appropriate length. Ta-da! Jorts.

One of the reasons the trend has been in style for so long is because of its versatility. There is so much you can do with high-waisted cutt-offs, and you don’t have to be talented with a sewing machine for most of them. .

Stud them with metal accents from Hobby Lobby, or bedazzle them with jewels. It’s easy to distress cutoffs too. All you need is a pair of scissors to scrape across the fabric, creating that worn look. Painting them is another option. This is an especially easy way to make patriotic shorts for the Fourth of July. If they don’t fit quite right, there’s an easy fix for that too. Add a lace trim to the bottom of each leg for length if they are a tad too short. If they’ve gotten snug then cut abut an inch up the side seam and sew in any fabric you like to create more legroom.

Freshman Bridgette Janes likes the distressed look with holes and frayed edges. 

Freshman Allie Crawley went with a patterned jean print for her cut-offs.

Sophomore Alexis Allen Goes shows off her unique style with high-waisted light jean shorts. With a zipper in the back these offer a simple look.

Because there are so many creative things to do with cut-offs they are the perfect type of shorts to really make your own. With cut-offs you can be sure nobody else will have the same pair. 

I am a sophomore multimedia journalism major at Oklahoma State. Originally from Fort Worth, Tx. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. I love photography and anything vintage!