Friendships with a Side of Effort

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Finishing the first semester of my junior year, I have come to a realization. I have realized that it is important to create everlasting friendships with those at your college, but it’s also very important to maintain your high school friendships.

I know, personally, that this can be extremely challenging – I don’t like texting, and my friend group is in Arkansas, Washington D.C., Arizona, Chicago, Boston and Texas; however, I still believe it essential to keep in contact with them because you never know when you’re going to need them.

Maddie Lowe, a student from University of Arkansas is studying interior design.

“Your high school friends are the people who really know you,” Lowe said. “They are the ones who have seen you conquer hard obstacles, overcome hard life challenges and know you inside and out.”

Whether you like it or not, college is going to change you. It’s going to help you grow, fall and learn more about who you are. That high friend group, who have been there through your awkward stage, depression and more will always be there so help you stay grounded. I’m not saying don’t make everlasting friendships with your college peers, but broaden your horizons by adding more people to your close friends list.

The hard part about staying in touch with a high school friend group, is who wants to put in the effort to stay in touch. For some, breaks aren’t the same, so at home they are never ever to see each other. For others it’s hard to keep causally texting each other.

It’s hard but I know it can be overcome. Put some effort into it, make plans to do weekend trips, spring break trips and more. Instead of calling your mom every day or two call a friend. Nobody ever knew a phone call was coming back in style until college.   It’s the best way to hear more about a person’s life than through texts, because who really wants to send text life updates.

Keep the friendships and overcome the lazy side of not wanting to put it efforts, it will be worth it one day. 

Student at Oklahoma State University