Five Tips To Up Your Thrifting Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Last spring I accepted an internship for the upcoming summer. I realized that I would need a professional wardrobe for the internship, but I didn’t have the money to go out and buy all new things and that is how I got into thrifting. I started off going to any thrift store I could find in Oklahoma City and Edmond, quickly finding my favorites and learning where not to waste my time. Once I found three stores that I liked, I visited them almost every week. Thrifting allowed me to get quality brands that I knew would last without breaking the bank. Here are my five tips for successful thrifting:

1. Try things on! When I am shopping at a thrift store, I pick up every single thing I like that is close to my size. In the dressing room I usually cut my pile of clothes in half because things aren’t the right fit or look strange on my body type. Most thrift stores don’t allow returns, so trying things on guarantees that you only spend money on what works for you.
  2. Learn to pick out quality fabrics. I don’t have to go through every item on every rack any more to find good pieces. I have learned to spot good fabrics, which saves a lot of time.
  3. Shop often! Sometimes I will walk out of a store with two bags full of clothes, and other times I can only find one piece. You have to shop stores consistently to get the best stuff, even if it is one shirt at a time.
  4. Take into account seasonal changes. People clean out their closets when the seasons change. Shop more stores around spring and fall weather changes to take advantage of those big donation times.
  5. Think outside the store! In addition to visiting thrift stores, I also frequently shop thrifting websites such as ThredUp and Poshmark. Shopping online allows you to find much more specific items, and these sites offer them at second hand prices.

Below is photo featuring a few outfits and some of my favorite pieces that I have found thrifting! Brands featured include Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, J. Crew, Dana Buchman, The Limited, Loft, New York and Company, Kenneth Cole Reaction and Mossimo.