This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

A new semester of school means the usual idea to change up my looks. This year, I felt more confident to actually change my hairstyle. I have about six years before my 25th birthday to try these five looks that I think are gorgeous or crazy enough for me.

The “Narcissa Malfoy” Look

If you have been on TikTok recently, you may have noticed the boom of Harry Potter-related videos on the app. Among these videos were people dying their hair to resemble Narcissa Malfoy and I was immediately hooked. This version of Malfoy’s hair includes dying your hair black while the lower parts of your hair are dyed platinum blond. This hairstyle exudes the powerful energy that the Malfoys had and it’s an easier process for me since I have naturally black hair.

Curls for Days

I know that I have the curly hair genes from my parents but it’s often hard to see due to my lack of knowledge of hair care for curls. I have seen enough tutorials on the Internet but could never find the time (or the money) to care for my curls. This would be better when I have shoulder-length hair to show off my curls though.

Vintage 20s Look

The 1920s was one of the decades that younger Esther was intrigued by, especially the culture and the iconic looks I’d seen in movies and TV shows. The specific hair that I’m interested in is the “bob”, both curly and straight. Short hair was not the look that older members in 1920s society approved of but I beg to differ. I’ve already unintentionally sported the curly bob once or twice this past summer so it’s a matter of time before I head straight into the other one.

“Crazy” Hair Colors

For some people, dyeing your hair different colors may be a normal thing, but for me, it is not. I’ve never dyed my hair in any ‘crazy’ colors, due to the stigma behind unnatural hair colors growing up and the lack of knowledge to do so. If I were to dye my hair, it would be dark green, lavender, or strands of red underneath my black locks.

Buzz cut

For me, this idea is most likely the craziest out of the other four. For 19 years, I’ve had long or short hair but never a buzz cut. Besides looking like Eleven from season one of Stranger Things, it feels like a powerful statement to what I’ve learned growing up about hair and femininity. Additionally, I wouldn’t have to worry about hair care for at least a few months.

My hair and I have been through a lot, from ugly haircuts to long hours of the straightening process. As the years go by, I now see how my hair is ingrained into what I consider femininity and empowerment. These hairstyles on my list hopefully can teach me more about myself while being a fun process.

Senior majoring in Multimedia Journalism and double-minoring in Gender, Women, and Sexuality studies and Philosophy at Oklahoma State University || Focus more on Art and Entertainment || Marvel enthusiast