The Double Standard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Why is a wedding dress white? 
So the dishwasher will match the oven and the fridge.

Fox news reporter, Suzanne Venker seems to think that the woman’s place is in the kitchen, right next to the oven and the fridge. The recent “War on Men” began with an article by Venker claiming that the reason men don’t want to marry anymore is that “women aren’t women anymore.”

Venker claims that the change in the roles of women, as in their success in the workforce, is scaring men away. Venker says modern women will not let men succumb to their natural sense of supporting their family.

What is her brilliant solution? Women should surrender to their original nature and femininity to let men have their masculinity back.

My first question is, where did she find these pansy men? Are these men so insecure that they are intimidated by a woman who can be successful?

Women can be women and still be successful. I know women who go to work, pick up the kids, have dinner on the table and still have a happy marriage with their husbands. How is that possible? Well, because a marriage is supposed to be two equal parties working together to create a happy and successful life TOGETHER.

“I can see what the article is getting at, but as an unmarried college student I have not seen this kind of gender competition in my life personally. Atleast not yet,” OSU senior Paul Cotton says.

Venker says that women are defensive. Maybe it is because they have to be. When you are constantly attacked for what you are, sometimes you have to be able to defend yourself.

OSU junior Sarah Katani says could not disagree more with Venker.

“With the economy and everything today how are you realistically supposed to afford everything if two people aren’t working,” Katani says.

How are women ever supposed to feel equal when other women are stuck in the their 1950 “Leave it to Beaver” kitchens? Think about the women who fought for EQUAL rights for all women. And, it still isn’t equal. Maybe what it takes is for women to be defensive, to cook, to clean, to take care of the family, work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and still be, dare I say it, a happy and successful woman. 

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.