Don’t Fear the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

The beginning of college is always such an exciting time of year.The energy is high on campus as new students find their classes, and returning students meet up with old friends. Thinking back, I enjoyed discussing college, but then the conversation would somehow end with a warning about the ‘dreaded freshman 15’. Referring to the extra 15 pounds college students might pack on after their first year. Once I arrived it is no surprise as to why these extra pounds are so feared. People get busy, and being in a different environment can make you stressed. Ultimately, spinning your eating habits out of control. So you feel tired, don’t feel like cooking anything, take-out once won’t affect your waistline or hips. But then that one time turns into an everyday affair and suddenly you need new pants. 

This may seem scary, but don’t shy away. The best defense against gaining weight is a good offense. So be proactive. It is as simple as planning your weekly meals, then sticking to that plan. If you are exhausted every evening keep your meal simple like a salad or turkey sandwich. Something you can easily prepare without an oven or stove. Amanda, a hotel restaurant administration freshman, is already on the offense.

“I eat at Twenty Something, it has good wraps and salads,” Amanda says.

Other healthy dining options around campus are Roots, located in North Classroom Building. Newtons Café, located in Henry Belmon Research Center and Café Libro, located in the library. This will not only help your waistline, but your wallet, as well. With all the money you save from eating out you can go purchase that awesome OSU dress you have seen in the store.

Along with diet, exercise is necessary. Exercise can boost your mood and help keep body fat to a minimum. If you have never been a gym rat, or are intimidated by all the machines, check out the Colvin website. FitFirst classes are offered free to students and happen every day. These classes are group lead and upbeat, all taught by certified instructors. Emily Dexter, an elementary education junior has been attending these classes for three years.

“I really like Pump and Tone, because it works your whole body and I could really feel it after,” Emily says.

If you prefer being outside, take a walk around Boomer Lake or jog through campus.
Do not fear the 15. Be proactive, have a workout buddy, eat right, and reward yourself for keeping to your plan. Always remember, love yourself for who you are, college is a great time to meet people and try new things. Go Pokes!

I am a junior studying strategic communications, at Oklahoma State University. I am interested in PR, working for an agency, reputation management or writing for a health magazine. Like everybody else I am addicted to Pinterest, I try to bake healthy food but it somehow always turns into a sugar-filled cake. I love to hike, bike, hang glide and do pretty much everything in my Chacos.
I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.