Crimes Of Grindelwald Theories: What Does J.K. Rowling Have Planned?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I am warning you now, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD. Okay, now let’s get down to business. What on earth does J.K Rowling have up her sleeve?

Like most fans of the Harry Potter universe, I was expecting the Fantastic Beasts series to be nostalgic of the good old days with Harry Potter and his gang. The series was supposed to be a companion of the series that we grew up with. It was just supposed to be fun and games. Oh, boy was I wrong. If you’re reading this it either means that you’ve seen the movie or you’re someone who loves to spoil the ending of stories for yourself. Either way, let’s just get right into the theories for the next installment of Fantastic Beasts.

Theory 1: Credence (Aurelius) Dumbledore

So first off, where does Credence fall in the Dumbledore family tree? Most say that he is Albus’s younger brother. So that would mean that Albus has three siblings, not two. He was the oldest. Then it was Aberforth, Ariana, and Aurelius (Credence). Now, this is the family tree that most people have accepted. But I think that it is too easy a stretch. In the movie, it is never actually stated that Credence is Albus’s brother. I think that he is a nephew or a cousin. Kendra Dumbledore, the mother of Albus, Aberforth, and Ariana could have had a sibling and that could be where Credence comes in. All I know is that no one will know for sure how Credence fits in until J.K Rowling has spoken.

Theory 2: The Side Queenie Chose

Many of my friends say that Queenie chose to leave Jacob and go to Grindelwald’s side on her own. I think there has to be more to it than that. The blue fire looks a lot like the age line in the Goblet of Fire. In that movie, it was to make sure that no one underage could put their name in the Goblet of Fire. In the Crimes of Grindelwald, it seems that the meaning for this line is for keeping the people that aren’t fully committed to Grindelwald out of the circle. This would cancel out an imperious curse, which would mean that Grindelwald couldn’t have been using Queenie as a puppet. However, I think that Queenie was too useful to Grindelwald to not make sure that she would join him. He is an extremely powerful wizard. I believe that he somehow made sure that Queenie saw what he wanted her to see in his mind. She has said that it is hard to understand Newt’s thought because he has an accent. What if a powerful wizard, like Grindelwald, could twist what Queenie saw to get her on his side? After all, she did have trouble crossing the blue fire. Maybe because she wasn’t fully committed? Or perhaps, the magic knew she had been deceived.

Theory 3: The Blood Pack

So from the Harry Potter books and movies, we know that the showdown between Grindelwald and Dumbledore has to go down. However, the men made a blood pack to never fight each other. This is not to be confused with an unbreakable vow, which as the name implies, cannot be broken. The question is, how are they going to break it so that Grindelwald and Dumbledore are allowed to fight again? I think Newt is going to find a way around it. I would also bet, that one of his creatures have the power to help him. Why else, would Dumbledore have sent Newt?

Theory 4: The Elder Wand

The elder wand is unlike any other. It is super powerful and doesn’t follow the rules of the other wands in the Harry Potter universe. It’s loyalty resides in the wizard who bested the wand’s last owner. In the Half-Blood Prince book, Draco disarmed Dumbledore and the wand’s allegiance switches to him. In the Fantastic Beasts movie, Newt disarms a disguised Grindelwald by binding him with magic and making him drop his wand. Tina then uses the Accio charm to fly Grindelwald’s wand into her hand. The wand is not the elder wand, for the disguises sake, but we know that Grindelwald already had it in his possession and that the trick won’t confuse the elder wand. The same thing happened when Harry disarmed Draco and got allegiance from the elder wand even though it was not in Draco’s possession. But the burning question I have is, who does the wand obey now? Tina, or Newt? Will the wand now have a divided allegiance and therefore be easier to stop? We’ll have to wait and see.

Theory 5: Apparating Into Hogwart

In the newest installment of Fantastic Beasts, there is a scene where about six wizards apparate into Hogwarts to talk to Dumbledore. In the Harry Potter books, it is often mentioned that magic does not allow the use of apparition inside of Hogwarts. My guess is that rule hasn’t been put into place yet. I am sure that during this five movie series that the reason for this will be revealed. Also, it would seem that Albus is already a feared wizard even in his young adult life. Why else would you need about six wizards just for an inquiry?

Theory 6: The Wand Chooses The Wizard And Letters From Hogwarts

Several fans have commented on the fact that Credence seems to have a lot of power, but where was his letter to Ilvermorny, the American wizarding school? If he has so much magic potential, why didn’t they try to teach him to control the power he possessed? Another thing that was pointed out by a booktuber on YouTube, was that the wand chooses the wizard. However,  Grindelwald just hands Credence a wand. When Credence waves the wand the side of a mountain explodes. This was a similar reaction to what happened when Harry first tried a wand out. But when Ollivander, the wandmaker, saw this he said, “Apparently not.” The wandmaker lets Harry try several different wands until one merely makes the room glow and swirls the wind around a bit. It doesn’t show off or destroy things. The wand merely points out that it will allow Harry to own it. So the wand definitely didn’t choose Credence. This will come to cause trouble in the coming movies I bet. I would also bet, that the wand Grindelwald gives Credence is not new, but is Grindelwald old wand. A sort of heirloom, if you will.

Theory 7: Where Will It All End

I am super confused about where J.K. Rowling is taking us. It finally makes sense why Dumbledore was so secretive. He learned from his creator. Like he did in the books, J.K Rowling holds all of the cards and we are holding our breath for fear of missing her sleight of hand. Where is the next magic trick taking us? I personally am SO ready for it! I can’t believe we have to wait two more years!

Sarah Palmer

OK State '21

Hello! My name is Sarah Palmer. I wrote articles and posted to Her Campus Magazine during my Freshman year at OSU (2018-2019). I wrote about what interests me (who doesn't?): animals, my education, books, TV series, original fiction. Since Her Campus Magazine, I have graduated with my bachelor's in agricultural communications (2021). I'm now following my dreams of freelance writing/editing, working in a bookstore, and writing books I hope to publish. Check out my website if you want a more up-to-date look at what I'm up to! My social media links are also posted there. God Bless! https://twopst6.wixsite.com/sarahpalmerportfolio