Climb on at the Colvin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

For some of you who work out at the Colvin Center, you might have seen the climbing wall and wondered what it was about.

It’s tucked away in its own little section of the Colvin, so it seems a mysterious to some. Maybe even exclusive, but that’s not the case.

The Colvin Climbing Wall offers many options for people who are looking for a change in their normal workout routine, for those curious about what rock climbing is, or for serious outdoor climbers who use the climbing wall as a welcome training ground.

I fell into the first category. So last week, I signed up for and attended a certification class that would teach me the proper and safe techniques to climb on the wall. I even learned how to tie a figure-8 knot for the first time. Look at some of my new skills below! I even added some chalk for a “pro effect” :)

I paid an upfront cost of $70 for the class, but that cost also includes a yearlong membership, the ability to climb at any time during the wall’s operating hours and discounted rates for various trips planned under Outdoor Adventure, which is the division of the Colvin that oversees the climbing wall.

For those not wanting to pay for an annual membership, they can go to the climbing wall with someone who is certified and climb for $6 per visit. There are also special times where people can come climb at no charge: Tuesday Throwdown and Women in Climbing on Thursday nights, just to name a few. However, non-certified guests cannot belay someone on the wall. They can only be belayed.

Quick explanation of belaying: a rope is set up like a pulley system. One end of the rope is secured to the harness of the person who is climbing. The other end is secured to the harness of the person who is anchored to the floor, the belayer. They can stop a climber from falling by locking the rope using an ATC device.

This may seem a little scary, but after a few times on the wall as the climber, I realized that even someone the same size or smaller than me could use the rope and ATC device to prevent me from freefalling to the floor.

The climbing wall also has a room off to the side referred to as ‘the cave’. In this room, people can practice bouldering, which is similar to rock climbing except that no ropes are needed because the person is not climbing rocks over 10 feet. You have to be certified to boulder on your own, but like with the wall, you can come with a member for $6.

The Outdoor Adventure staff and climbers have a really good relationship and sense of community. They are constantly working together to come up with fun ways to build rapport and challenge each other to be better climbers. In fact, during my certification class, a group of girls drew a large crowd as they took on one of these challenge games.

The game has a person vertically stacking milk crates toward the ceiling while balancing on the growing tower. After having a crate handed or tossed up to them, the person then puts that crate on top and they continue climbing up the crates until they stack all 24 or the tower falls. It’s a game that involves serious endurance, core balance and teamwork.

I am looking forward to developing my skills at the climbing wall and in the bouldering cave as I have many friends who both climb and boulder recreationally. I’ve already been a few times to the wall since my class, and so far, I am very happy with my decision to become a member of the OSU climbing family!

I'm a first-year grad student at Oklahoma State University. I am involved with communication studies and gender issues. I'm a dog-person, not a cat-person, but only because I'm allergic to cats. I enjoy documentaries on Netflix and my favorite food is every food.