Chris Stockton leads Dance Marathon For The Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

One of Oklahoma State’s biggest philanthropy events taken place each year is called Dance Marathon. This event takes several months of preparation by hand selected executive committees in order to make this event happen.

This amazing philanthropy event is all in the hands of the executive director, Chris Stockton this year. He has worked hard over the past few years in order to get this position but only so he could make a difference in the life of the kids who are patients at Children’s Hospital Foundation in Oklahoma City, a branch of Children’s Miracle Network.

“The first time I truly developed a mind for DM was the first year when I attended and saw the families,” Stockton said. “Two things I love are leadership and helping people and at that point, I realized that I would have to choose which groups I wanted to invest in and Dance Marathon was at the top.”

In order to make this all a possibility there are many things Stockton had to do to get this position. His first year he attended Dance Marathon as a “dancer”, the second year after applying for the executive committee he held the position of Finance Director. After he discovered everything that happened behind the scenes of Dance Marathon he wanted to do more and after applying and being interviewed by the existing director, the organization’s adviser, and the hospital liaison, he received the position Executive Director this year.

“Some of my main duties are to lead the executive committee and organization as a whole and to also lead meetings,” Stockton said, “I also work directly with school administration and officials as the face of the organization, and finally the best part is that I get to go to all of the committee meetings throughout the week and interact with everyone within the 200 person organization.”

The time and commitment Stockton has put into this is absolutely outstanding but some may wonder what all of the commotion is about.

“When people hear of Dance Marathon they think, ‘Why would I want to go to something and dance for 12 hours?’ I can’t help but laugh because I have heard this so many times!” Stockton said. “This isn’t what we do at all! We raise money and awareness all year long so that we can give back to the Children’s Hospital Foundation in Oklahoma City so that they can facilitate funds for the OU Children’s Hospital.”

Being so passionate about the event and what he does, Stockton really tries to make sure that everybody at Oklahoma State gets involved in this amazing philanthropy. It is truly one of a kind because of the real purpose behind the entire event.

“All of the money we raise goes directly to OKC and stays in Oklahoma. No other philanthropy at OSU does that,” Stockton said. “I would encourage people to register and come because it truly has the potential to be one of their best memories in their time at college because it allows them to be a part of something bigger than themselves.”

Chris Stockton has found what it means to be bigger than himself by becoming involved and being a leader in something that has become so important to him, helping the kids. After a lot of hard work he is excited for the end celebration of 12 hours of dancing and encourages everybody to come and stand for the kids who can’t.

For more information visit okstatedm.org