Cheyenne Taylor: Music in her Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Where are you from?
Owasso, OK

What is your year and major?
Junior – Early Childhood Education

When and how did you start singing?
I have been singing my whole life. The earliest I was documented singing is when I was two and a half years old singing “Away in a Manger” at Christmas. I changed the lyrics to “lay down HER sweet head” and “look down where SHE lay.” My mom always sang with me everywhere we went and when I reached school age, my music teacher kind of took notice of me and started giving me solos.

What competitions have you been involved in?
I have competed in quite a few: School talent shows, The Claremore Bluegrass and Chilifest, American Idol, (just moved on to the second round out of 5 before Hollywood) Theta Rocks the CASA (before I was a Theta), The Cowboy Showcase put on by SUAB, and most recently, Okie Idol, based out of the Will Rogers Downs Racino in Claremore, Okla.

Which ones have you won/placed in, etc.?
I won my first talent show my sophomore year of high school. Then, I placed second both my junior and senior year. The first real competition I had won was Theta Rocks the CASA in Nov. 2011, than I won the Cowboy Showcase in April 2012, then placed first in Okie Idol in July 2012.

What is it like winning?
Every time I won, it just got more and more surreal. Theta Rocks the CASA was really unexpected for me, because when I moved to college, no one really knew that I sang. In high school, that was pretty much my label: “the singer girl.” I was president of Owasso Choir, I sang in our annual Pops Concert, I did Veteran’s assemblie,I sang at graduation. If they needed a singer, I was there. I loved it! So, it was pretty cool to know that I still had opportunities for competitions and performances in college.

What competition was your favorite and why?
My favorite competition would have to be Okie Idol. It started the last week in May and ran until the end of July. Every single Monday, they would have another round. The competition started out with about four to five preliminary rounds, with about 10 to 15 people competing every week. It was American Idol style at first, and then the final rounds began. For a month straight, my parents, my boyfriend and a several carloads of family and friends would go to the casino and get a ballot, listen to the competition, and vote. You didn’t vote for who you wanted to advance though, you voted for who you wanted to be eliminated. It was a very nerve-racking process, considering they didn’t let you find out until the next week if you were passing on or not. After several weeks of this, the judges finally voted on the final two contestants, I being one of them. The opportunity was incredible; I got to sing a song on the news program Good Day Tulsa, along with a short interview about the competition. The finals were that night, and half the vote was based on the call-in vote from the news show. And the other half was based on popular vote from the final competition that night. I pulled a classic out for the finals, Faithfully by Journey, and I won. I had a multitude of family and friends there for support. I got a beautiful (and really heavy) trophy and $2500. Definitely one of the most exciting nights of my life.

Who has been your biggest inspiration? Biggest supporter?
My biggest inspiration has to be Jesus Christ hands down. I would never be where I am right now if it had not been for Him. Before every performance, I pray, and after as well. I don’t pray to win competitions, I pray for His will to be done, and for me to accept it, whatever it may be. I also pray that His name will shine through me, and not my own. I am also incredibly fortunate with how many amazing supporters I have. Literally, my entire family, both sides, far extended, is at almost every performance I sing at. But, I have to say my parents are my biggest supporters. They would literally drop everything to come watch me sing, and they probably would sell their vehicles/house if it meant that my dreams would come true. They have never denied me an opportunity and have always been there for me, no matter what the cost. I love them so much and I am undyingly grateful for all they have done for me. My boyfriend is also one of my biggest supporters, as well. I never dreamed that I would meet someone who would want me to achieve my dreams as much as I do. My family jokes that he is my “boyfriendager” (boyfriend+manager), because he helps me pick songs to sing, he finds opportunities for me, he offers wise counsel on decision-making, and is at every single performance of mine. He is who I pray with before every performance or competition. He is such a spiritual encouragement as well as a singing encouragement, and I couldn’t have been more blessed with someone so special in my life.

Do you play any instruments? What?
I play a little guitar, but I’m no Hendrix. I basically learned because I wanted to have something to accompany me while singing the songs I wrote. I took lessons for a while, but when I moved to college, I had to stop. I have only performed live one time with a guitar, and it was scary to say the least. I will probably stick to singing in my bedroom at home with my guitar for a while until I can move past simple chords!

What do you plan on doing after you graduate?
After I graduate from OSU, my plans are pretty much up to the good Lord. I would love to teach Kindergarten, while singing at random places during breaks in the summer or weekends. My ultimate goal is to become a worship leader and record a CD or two, all for furthering His kingdom. Of course, I’m leaving that part up to God though. His will be done.

What upcoming performances do you have?
I sing at LifeChurch Stillwater every other Sunday, which is a huge blessing to me. I have a couple of weddings lined up in the next few months, and beyond that, I just plan on taking any and every opportunity that comes my way! ?

I am a sophomore multimedia journalism major at Oklahoma State. Originally from Fort Worth, Tx. I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. I love photography and anything vintage!