A Chat With SGA Vice President Kyle Buthod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

With Bedlam around the corner, and basketball season officially started OSU is getting a full dosage of great athletics. So this week HerCampus decided to interview the fuel behind the flame, SGA.
               Kyle Buthod, vice president of SGA, gives us some inside information on OSU upcoming events!

Danielle King: What is SGA?
Kyle Buthod:SGA is Student Government Association, the premier student organization at Oklahoma State. It is the group that represents all students and works closely with administration, the community, and the students. We have three branches, just like the Federal Gov. – but we are essentially the university’s student council. With that said, if SGA passes legislation or has a recommendation to the university, it is usually acted upon – and at the very least it is considered. Things like the Chinese program, smoking ban, and other initiatives were backed by SGA and brought to the administration 

DK:How big of a part did SGA play in planning/setting up Homecoming Week?
KB:SGA did not play a role in Homecoming, although we do support it. The OSU Alumni Association is responsible for the planning and arrangement of the week’s events and all things homecoming.

DK:Being a senior this year, was it sad to think that this year’s homecoming was your last to attend being an OSU student?
KB:That’s a great question – and very much true. As homecoming approached, I realized that it was my last homecoming as an OSU student. I know that I will be back year after year as alumni-but it won’t be the same.

DK:Is SGA planning on doing any special events during Bedlam?
KB:Yes, SGA is taking full responsibility for events during bedlam. Since we have not had a week prior to Bedlam in last several decades – this will be a new tradition. It will be five nights of programs – including the first Bedlam pep rally!

DK:After Bedlam, will SGA be taking a break from planning big activities?
KB:Yes, since the week after bedlam is dead week – we will just begin planning events for the spring. 

DK:With the season officially starting a few days ago, will SGA be involved in any special events with OSU Basketball
KB:Yes, we are very involved in athletics and we have a thing called camp ford – to camp out before basketball home games to get the best seats.

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.