The Best Drawing Applications Depending on Your Situation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

As someone who loves digital drawing, I have sampled several different drawing applications in the past few years. I started out with the free programs but eventually had access to paid applications. As it turns out, there are a lot of factors that can make the best program for you different from someone else. Here are the products I think are best depending on your situation.

On a Budget: Krita

Of all of the free programs I’ve tried, Krita is by far my favorite. After using photoshop it is the closest in efficiency and editing options. There are tons of free brushes included in the software and more out there for you to download. If you are just getting started this is a great program to use but it is also great for the more experienced artist. If I didn’t already have Photoshop for graphic design uses I would still be using Krita. Which leads me to…

Photo Editors and Graphic Designers who Draw: Photoshop

By a thin margin, photoshop delivers better editing and more options than Krita. If you already have photoshop or would like to use it for photo editing and graphic design then. If you are a student, adobe suite is $20 a month so if you are already paying for it I suggest getting your use out of it. Photoshop is very similar to Krita and there are some free brush bundles out there. Photoshop is more popular so you may be able to find more tutorials and brush sets out there. Basically, it’s worth it if you want to get the other uses out of it or already have it, but otherwise, Krita works just fine.

You Have an iPad or Want Something Easy: Procreate

This is by far the easiest drawing app to use once you learn the shortcuts. You may be confused when first starting to use it by the seemingly lack of options on screen but with a couple of tutorials, you will realize how streamlined the process is. Also, drawing is just EASY in procreate. The smoothing features make me look like I’m good at lineart when I’m really not. I’ve used procreate on my parent’s iPad as well as checking them out from the school, but now I am considering buying my own just because procreate is so good and I love drawing on a tablet. At a one-time purchase of $10, it’s really affordable. However, there are good free drawing apps for tablets like Autodesk Sketchbook if you have a tablet but no funds.

Everyone’s experience will be different but I highly recommend giving different applications a shot to see what works best for you. Have you tried any of these drawing programs? Which ones are your favorite? Let us know!  

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.