sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Must-Watch Movies to Prepare for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

As we all know, it’s officially October, or as we like to call it Spooktober. If you’re like us (and most people in the world) and you love Halloween and all things spooky, this is the month to satisfy your inner horror fanatic. While trying to create the perfect costume, decorating, attending Halloween parties, and more, it’s easy to forget to sit back and enjoy the month’s spooky festivities. One of our favorite ways to do this is by marathoning scary movies. To get you started here’s a list of some of our favorites. 

1. The Blair Witch Project

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video, Hulu

Loosely based on a true story, this movie tells the story of an ill-fated journey into the woods by three film students through “found footage”. Watch as their project to create a documentary about the legendary Blair Witch slowly descends into dangerous territory. The chilling, horrifying events will have you on the edge of your seat, thinking over every detail to guess what comes next. Hint: you’ll probably guess wrong. 

2. The Roommate 

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video

All is well in the beginning for new roommates Sara and Rebecca. However, as time passes, things begin to get strange. Jealousy, obsession, and resentment soon turn to violence in this must-watch thriller. 

3The Haunting in Connecticut

Based on a true story, this movie will have you rethinking your moving choices for the rest of your life. Although we’d bet most people would be hesitant to move into an ex-mortuary in the first place. Watch a family, already struggling with their son’s cancer, face unimaginable danger from the supernatural forces in their home. 

4. The Mothman Prophecies

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video 

Also based on a true story, this movie follows the story of a journalist who, after his wife’s moth-like vision before her death, begins to look further into the moth-like creatures as more sightings occur. He finds himself in the town of Point Pleasant, where he soon begins to make connections between the creatures (real or not) and tragedy. Chilling, thought-provoking, and suspenseful, this film makes for a great fright night watch. 

5. The Amityville Horror

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video 

And here we have another story about a new home gone wrong. George and Kathy believe they have found the perfect home for their family when a dark past is soon revealed. When history begins to repeat itself, danger ensues for the small family as they are left fighting supernatural forces for their survival.  Bonus: Ryan Reynolds. 

6. Hostel

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video, Showtime

During their post-graduation backpacking trip, Josh and Paxton meet up with a new friend. Enticed by rumors of an infamous hostel in a strange city, the three soon find themselves facing unexpected danger. Perhaps the most terrifying part of this movie is the fact that the events of this film could truly happen to anyone anywhere.

7. 28 Days Later

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video 

Because what list of scary movies would be complete without zombies? After a breakout of the “rage” virus, this movie follows three survivors as they try to escape the zombified victims of the disease. Bonus: if the end cliffhanger leaves you wanting more, watch the sequel 28 Weeks Later for some closure. 

8. Carrie

Where to stream it: Amazon Prime Video

Based on the Stephen King novel, this movie follows the story of Carrie, a teen who faces relentless bullying from her peers and abuse from her insanely religious mother. When a cute boy, prom queen, and pigs blood combine on the night of her debut dance, danger and chaos ensue. This classic fright night movie is the perfect combination of drama, supernatural, and gore.