6 Tips on Hair and Makeup for a Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

You see tips on how to dress business casual pretty much everywhere, but not enough on how to get a clean, professional look for hair and makeup. Aside from clothing, the most important thing is how you look from neck up, because that is what they look at when they speak to you.

Beginning with hair…

1. Slick Back Ponytail

Wearing a ponytail is very quick and easy, so if you’re already running late this would be the way to go! However, be sure to do it right. You don’t want to show up with a bunch of flyaway hairs or a loose droopy ponytail because then it’ll just look messy.

Tip: After applying hair spray, spray a teasing comb with natural bristles or a toothbrush and then brush baby hairs and/or hairline.  

2. Bun

A simple, clean bun is always great and simple too. With this you can add your own personal touch, whether it be wearing it high or low, or slick or a bit looser. You just want to make sure it looks clean. Same as with a ponytail, you don’t want flyaway hairs, or wearing a messy bun like you would to the grocery store.

Tip: If you have curly or wavy hair, flat iron it before pulling it back and follow tip for #1.

3. Straight or Curly

If you want something much more simple, you can flat iron it or curl it. For curls, loose bigger curls look best other than small tight curls that you would wear to a night out.

Tip: After using a flat iron or 1 inch curling iron to curl hair, brush out with fingers.

Moving on to makeup…

4. Light Smokey Eye

Makeup can be pretty delicate when trying to look professional, you don’t want to wear bright bold colors. Adding some style to your look and making your eyes pop, a smokey eye would look great!

Tip: Use very little brown on the outer corner of your eye. Winged eyeliner is a no-go when looking business casual/professional!

5. Warm Smokey Eye

Similar to the last, if you’d like to add some color you can never go wrong with a warm transition color on the outer corner of your eye. This works well with a red-orange and then going in with a brown to darken it up a bit.

Tip: Before applying the red-orange, begin with a basic, much lighter nude on your crease. Winged eyeliner is a no-go when looking business casual/professional!

6. Natural Eye

As you can see from the last two, it is best to stay very natural. You do not want anything dramatic at all. If you’d rather stay even more natural, an all over nude with a little bit of color on your bottom lash line works just as good!

Tip: Add a light shade to your inner corner and brow bone. Winged eyeliner is a no-go when looking business casual/professional, however, you could do a solid line and stop at the corner of your eye if you feel the need for eyeliner.