5 Trans Women to Learn About this Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.
Christine Jorgensen

In 1952, Christine became the first woman in the United States to undergo hormone replacement therapy and have gender confirmation surgery. She served in the US army before she went through her transition. The news reported on her and her new transition with titles like “Ex-GI Becomes Blonde Beauty.”

Why is she important? Christine Jorgensen is a crucial part of trans history because she has paved the way for so many people. She made transition more public which has made that process more widely available.

Sarah McBride

Sarah McBride has done a lot for trans representation in terms of politics. McBride became the first transgender staffer in the White House when she interned for the Office of Public Engagement. She then was asked in 2016 to speak at the Democratic National Convention, becoming the first transgender person to ever speak at a national major party convention.

Why is she important? Sarah McBride is important because she lets trans people know that there is hope for our community in politics. She is an example of how trans people can one-day hold power like a president or a supreme court justice.

Marsha P. Johnson

Marsha P. Johnson was a crucial figure during the gay liberation movement. She is said to be the instigator of the famous Stonewall Riot, throwing a brick at some police officers. After her tussle with the police, she partnered up with Sylvia Rivera (another important woman to learn about) to start the Street Transvestite (later changed to transgender) Action Revolutionaries or STAR organization. In the 80s, she became an activist during the AIDS epidemic. She sadly was found dead in 1992 and it was ruled as a suicide, but there is no clear evidence of that.

Why is she important?  Marsha P. Johnson was one of many that jumpstarted the gay liberation movement. Her contributions during the Stonewall riots and the events after will live on. Marsha P. Johnson will not only be a role model for black trans and gender-nonconforming folks but she is a mother of a revolution. Marsha P. Johnson, mother of gay liberation.

Laverne Cox

Laverne Cox is one of the most recognizable trans actors in the media today. She is most known for her role in “Orange is the New Black,” but she started her film career on “Law and Order”, “Bored to Death”, and “I Wanna Work for Diddy.” After her work on “I Wanna Work for Diddy,” she started her own show called “TRANSform Me” which was about 3 trans women going and helping women revamp their style. This show kind of reminds me of Queer Eye. She was the first trans woman of color to have a leading role on a scripted show and been awarded for her role in “Orange is the New Black.”

Why is she important? She has had such a successful career as an actor and is such a role model for most trans person and representation for trans people of color. She is also an advocate for trans and is helping with educating people who know so little about the LGBT community.

Renée Richards

Renee Richards is a professional tennis player. After she went through gender confirmation surgery, she played in the women’s division of tennis without incident. After a year of playing, it was discovered she was a trans woman and the U.S. Open had a fit. They started to require women to get a genetic test and refused Renee to be able to play. She then sued them and won, allowing her to be able to play again.

Why is she important? She not only fought against oppression and was able to play her sport, but she has paved the way for so many trans athletes that are doing their thing. She stood up for herself and wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

There are so many trans people I could’ve talked about and I chose people with different achievements. I implore you, dear reader, do more research. Find so many other trans and gender non-conforming people to do research on. There are so many trans people who are doing or have done fabulous things who deserve more recognition.

Micah Damon

OK State '22

Hi! My name is Micah Damon and I am a trans sophomore at OSU. I am studying Arts Administration with a minor in American Sign Language and Gender Women's. Besides writing for Her Campus, I am apart of several different organizations and I work a lot. Outside of my responsibilities, I love shopping, hanging out with friends, and making art.