5 Things You’ll See at Every College Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Halloween is coming up right around the corner which means that you’ve probably been invited to at least one Halloween party (unless you’re me).  If you’ve never been to a college Halloween party before you might be wondering what to expect.  Here are 5 things you’ll encounter at every college Halloween party!

1. Crazy Costumes

You’ve probably spent weeks if not months thinking about what you will go as for Halloween.  If you’re crafty you may have even spent a lot of time perfecting it for the holiday.  However, when you walk into that party you will be shocked by the different costumes you will see.  There will be “slutty” versions of everything imaginable (think Mean Girls).  You will see the most obscure costumes that will both confuse you and make you laugh till you cry.  But you will most likely see the complete garbage that people threw together at the last minute (me).

2. Drinks

The last Halloween party I went to had so many different drinks that I don’t think anyone could try them all.  While I stuck to the dope punch that looked like witches brew due to dry ice, there was enough alcohol at this party to sink a ship.  If you are drinking alcohol remember to only drink something you poured yourself or watched someone else pour! 

3. Cheap Decorations

Unless you have insanely rich friends, college students are likely to not go all out with their decorations.  But there definitely are creative people who know how to make their budget stretch at the Dollar Tree.  You’re either walking into a spooky house of horror or a big bore.

4. Group Costumes

I love group costumes.  I’d love to be a part of them someday.

5. Halloween Music

This is the one time throughout the year that someone can play the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack over the aux cord and get away with it.  If you have a favorite Halloween song either plug your phone in or get over to the person controlling the speaker and put that request in.  I’m pretty sure I heard Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3 times throughout the night at my last Halloween party.  

If you plan on going to a party this year look out for these 5 things but most importantly…

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.