5 Films to Stream on Netflix to Wrap up Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

As the month comes to an end, you may feel like it’s too late to celebrate Black History Month.  However, us here at Her Campus have compiled a list of films that you can watch immediately on Netflix!  Check out these awesome movies and documentaries that tell the stories of people in history that give us a glimpse into the experience and importance of black lives.

1. Fruitvale Station

This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time.  Michael B. Jordan (Creed) brings Oscar Grant, a young man who was murdered by police in 2008, and his story to life.  This movie is so great because it humanizes the victim’s we read about so often in the news.

2. Barry

Get a glimpse into the life of a young Barack Obama as he moves to New York in order to attend school at Columbia University.  Devon Terell (Ophelia) gives us an idea of what Barack’s life was like at this time.  The plot of this movie isn’t what’s important, but the relatable stories and the message of hope we are so familiar with from former President Barack Obama.

3. 42

Based on the true story, Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther) stars as Jackie Robinson, the first ever black professional baseball player.  As a major event in US history, many of us are already familiar with the story.  However, the amazing cast and crew create a heart-wrenching yet inspiring movie that anyone would enjoy.

4. Tangerine

One of the many remarkable things about Tangerine is the fact that it was shot entirely on an iPhone 5s.  Director Sean Baker gives a beautiful movie showing the life of two black trans sex workers.  

5. 13th

Director Ava DuVernay (A Wrinkle in Time) highlights the history of inequalities and oppression of black lives in the United States.  If you watch anything on this list, watch this documentary.  Check out DuVernay’s other works like Selma, the Central Park Five, and Queen Sugar.

We hope you check out at least one of these films no matter what time of the year it may be!

Former President of Her Campus at Oklahoma State University.  Laney is a senior Graphic Design major.  Laney is passionate about philanthropy, activism, education, and art.  When she isn't writing articles for Her Campus she is painting, playing video games, or volunteering.