4 Things Non-US People find Strange about the USA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Arriving in a foreign country means experiencing a new culture, a new way of life, and new habits… often behaviors foreigners are not used to in their home country.

Let’s discover a little selection of things I and all international students find kind of strange/weird/crazy about the USA. 

1. Why are there so many American flags everywhere ?

On houses, in gardens, on buildings, and at the gas station you can see the American flag everywhere! “American patriotism”, is what they call it?

Americans are very proud of their country, and that is defiantly not a bad thing! In France, you may see French flags in the street only for a special holiday like Bastille Day, or flags flying by the porch of houses only for huge sporting events, but after the event is over, the flag is quickly removed.   

2. Why are you always asking nice questions ?

Strangers smiling at you every time, waiters asking you if “Everything is ok?” people talking to you in the street without any reason; such as “I like your dress”.

These kind gestures seem weird at the beginning when you’re not used to the complements. When you understand it and compare it with my home France, where people don’t speak to strangers at all or rarely, you realize how pleasant it is to be able to easily converse with anyone.

3. Why is there so much air conditioning ? 

NOT SO COLD PLEASE!

In my bedroom, classroom, library, a restaurant or everywhere else inside, you’re literally FREEZING if you don’t think to carry a jacket on you. Sometimes you often forget your jacket, because it’s so warm outside, so you end up freezing in your classes anyway. I don’t even want to imagine how it will be in the winter if the air conditioning is still so cold!

4.  Why do they wear caps and sports clothing all the time ?

American girls and guys wear caps everywhere, even in class, as well as sport T-shirts, shorts, and sneakers.

Most of the time they look as if they were going to the gym, but no they are only going to class. And if you are not wearing a cap and sports clothing for the day, then they consider you to be well dressed. I actually like this American idea, and I say, Why not, because it honestly seems more comfortable, and if you want to head to the gym after class, you are already ready! 

I guess this is my way of being welcomed into the  United States of America!

A lot of strange things have happened, that make for a funny cultural shock to myself. Maybe next time I might have adapted to these things that I find weird!