4 Artists to Check Out During These Trying Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

A way that I stayed sane during self-isolation is finding new artists and listening to their songs. A few artists (most of them R&B singers) caught my eyes since late March and these are my recommendations if you want to vibe along with me.

Dayglow

Dayglow, whose real name is Sloan Struble, is an indie pop singer, songwriter, and producer that hails from Fort Worth, Texas. Believe it or not, I first found one of his songs titled “Can I Call You Tonight” from a TikTok compilation (3 AM boredom hit me hard). His feel-good song from his debut album “FUZZYBRAIN” is a hit for me, bringing back nostalgia to times when I wasn’t even born yet.

Kaiit

Kaiit Bellamia Waup is a Papua New Guinean neo soul singer from Melbourne, Australia. Her EP titled “Live from Her Room” contained many groovy hits, such as “OG Luv Kush p2” and “Natural Woman”. She is one of my current faves that I kept repeating on my Spotify playlist. I never knew R&B and soul music would hit me this hard.

Amber Mark

I heard Amber Mark’s “Put You On” on a YouTube video and I quickly fell in love. A Tennessee native, Amber Mark’s discography includes Grammy-nominated album “3:33am” and an EP titled “Conexao”. Even though she doesn’t have a specified genre, there are tidbits of styles from R&B, hip hop, and soul.

RINI

Justerini Sandoval, known professionally as RINI, hails from south east Melbourne and is a R&B and soul artist. His album, “After the Sun” contains “Meet Me in Amsterdam”, which made me long for romantic love that I didn’t know I wanted. Jokes aside, RINI’s voice brings such power to each of his songs and I can’t wait to see what’s next for him.

I hope you’re staying safe but also vibin’ to these artists in your home.

Senior majoring in Multimedia Journalism and double-minoring in Gender, Women, and Sexuality studies and Philosophy at Oklahoma State University || Focus more on Art and Entertainment || Marvel enthusiast