As finals week and my freshman year comes to an end, I started to realize I learned more than what my textbooks could ever taught me. So, I have created a list of things that the class of 2020 needs to know before starting their first year at Oklahoma State.
1. Nobody cares if you’re Greek.
Greek life is not for everyone! Although it is an amazing opportunity to make friends, its okay to not want to rush. AND you’ll definitely make friends in other places.
2. Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck.
Upper classman will tell you to wear it just to make you look silly. Keep your lanyard in your backpack, please.
3. You don’t have to look nice and put together every single day.
Most of your classmates will be wearing sweatpants and t-shirts to class, it’s okay to dress down.
4. Call your mom!
College is kinda scary, and odds are this is the first time you’re living on your own. Call her to let her know you’re okay.
5. Learn what study techniques work for you and stick to it.
Studying is crucial to surviving college, learn how to study so you can pass your classes!
6. Coffee will become your new best friend.
Coffee is one of the main food groups of a college student, if you don’t like it now, you’ll learn to love it later.
7. If you say “Go Pokes” you’re never wrong.
No explanation needed.
8. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to two-step.
If you ever find yourself at a country bar or the Tumbleweed, use this as an excuse to ask a cutie to teach you!
9. If there is a theme, go all out.
Most of the parties in Stillwater have a theme, don’t be the odd one out not dressed up. Costumes are fun and it’s healthy to be able to laugh at yourself!
10. Get a planner.
In high school it was super easy to remember what was due when, but in college it’s a lot harder to remember every project, essay, and meeting if you don’t write it down.
11. Cry sometimes.
12. It’s okay to ask for help.
It doesn’t mean you’re weak or unintelligent, it just shows you’re human.
13. Sleep. Sleep is good.
The most successful people in college go to bed before 11 at night, so try to get your Zzz’s!
14. Reading the text book actually helps with the test.
Take this from someone who learned the hard way.
15. It’s OKAY not to drink.
Having a night in with your dog (or roommate) is great bonding time.
16. Tapingo will be your best friend.
Never having to leave your bed to order and pick up food is the best thing.
17. Dry shampoo is the best. You’ll use it often.
It’s a staple to help keep you looking fresh even when you didn’t have the motivation to shower.
18. Make friends with upper classmen
They’ve been through this before, so listen to them when they give advice.
19. Treat yourself every once in awhile.
After a hard test or project, treat yourself to your favorite food, or have a little shopping spree.
20. Find your people, and keep them,
You only do Freshman year once. Be yourself and don’t worry about what others think of you. Cherish it because it will be over before you know it!