10 Ways to Cope with Stress While in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Stress is something that EVERYONE is familiar with.

Whether, within their personal life, work life, or education, stress can come in many different ways, and can get the best of us if we allow it to. As the famous saying goes, “Different strokes for different folks”, as everyone has their own way of coping with the stressors of life.

Here are 10 tips for those who do not know how to deal with stress as well as others. 

1.Go for a run or exercise!

– Running is not only good for your body, but the mind also. It can allow for a fresh breath of air and really take a load off of someone. Whether you just bombed a test or if you are just feeling like you need to release some bad energy, go for a run at the lake or hit your local gym!

2.Go look at motivational speakers on YouTube!

– Every once in a while, people lose their motivation to do anything. Especially with the cold weather approaching, one can make up various reasons to just stay in bed. Listening to motivational speakers can spark the flame you once had for starting or finishing an important task!

3.Read a book!

– It could be your favorite book or a Bible if you are religious. Reading can stimulate your mind, and take you to a different place. Get cozy, make some hot chocolate, and read your favorite book to forget about the stress you are going through.

4.Write in a Journal!

– Many people use writing as a way to get their thoughts from their minds. Writing allows for creativity and also helps with organization. If you are stressing about organization, write all the things you need to do and when, and use that as a guide for getting your work done!

5.Take a bubble bath and have a glass of wine.  

– There is something special about bubble baths that have the power to make stress disappear. Play you favorite soft tunes, light a candle, and pour a glass of your favorite wine to make the bubble bath an even better experience.

6.Schedule a full day to and for yourself!

– In the world we live in today, people are always on the move and steady checking their cell phones. Take a day were you can be free, and turn off you phone so you can enjoy a day all to your own without interruption. Go to the spa, get a mani/pedi, go shopping, or get your hair done. The power of a new look and a fresh set of nails is much underestimated. That time alone can be very valuable and that could be just what you need to feel better!

7.Take a mini vacay!

– If time permits, take a mini vacation. Sometimes you can start to feel trapped in your dorm or apartment. Everyone needs a change of scenery once and a while, and a small trip would be more than satisfying. If you like to travel via airplanes more, then Southwest Airlines has some great prices for round trip flights that you could check out!

8.Take some time to meditate/ do yoga!

– Utilize the great gift of the internet and search for yoga places in your area. Meditation is a great way to declutter and feel at peace. It allows you to feel lighter if you do it the right way. You can do it for 10 or 15 minutes, or for whatever time you see fit. The more you focus on actually meditating, the better you will feel about whatever it is you are stressing about.

9.Talk to family and friends.

– Of course everybody needs time to themselves, but speaking to and being around family and friends could be the exact thing that will help with stress. Many times people like to believe they are the only ones experiencing some sort of stress when in reality, many others have been in their exact shoes! Talking to someone about your problems will allow that stress to be released, and also one could get valuable advice to get through what they are facing.

10.Cleaning up!

– It might sound unappealing, but cleaning up and changing the appearance of your living space could boost your mood instantly! Living in a place that is clean and smells good is amazing, and chilling in it is way more comfortable than being in a space that’s nasty and cluttered. Add some pictures of family and friends on your walls, rearrange some things for a newer feel! It would help tremendously and feel as you can move with ease within your surroundings.

I am a Junior at Oklahoma State University majoring in Psychology minoring in philosophy with an option in pre-law. I love to write and read, and love magazines!