Winter Break Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
Ah, that special time of year is finally here: winter break. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other holiday, everyone looks forward to spending time with family and friends, away from the college chaos. But considering us Bobcats will be away from Athens for roughly a month, boredom will probably hit you faster than a snowball launched by your little brother. Fortunately, I have composed a list of fun things to do before classes start on January 13th.  Read on to start your winter break right!

1. See how many different flavors/varieties of candy canes you can find. 
Yes, you could opt for the traditional red and white stripes, but you’d be surprised at the evolution of the candy cane in stores near you. There’s minty chocolate, Jolly Rancher, Sweet Tart, Jelly Belly, and many more!
2. Have a (Christmas) movie marathon.
Everyone knows you can’t go wrong with the timeless classics of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, or A Christmas Story. My personal favorite is Elf, because it’s still just as funny the millionth time watching it as it is the first time. Also, I highly recommend Christmas with the Kranks and Deck the Halls. Bottom line: nothing gets you in the holiday spirit more than some cozy blankets and a few festive films. 
3. Do a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift exchange with friends.
When you’ve been apart from your hometown crew for several months, catching up is a must. Why not make a reunion more special with a small swapping of presents? Keeping a $10 max limit is ideal— we’re poor college students, after all— yet flexible in finding something sweet or silly. (Hot chocolate and laughs optional).
4. Get a manicure and/or pedicure.
Around the chilly months, it’s hard to feel pretty when you’re constantly bundled up, having dry/cracked skin, or battling a runny nose from winter viruses or being out in the cold. Sounds like a good excuse for some pampering, right? Gather up your girls for a spa day, whether it’s at someone’s house or at a real salon. If you want, you can even surf Pinterest for DIY facials!
5. Go sledding.
It’s the cheapest alpine activity when there’s enough snow on the ground. Not to mention, you can skip your workout later in the day after walking up the hill each time. For all you Ohioans, check out http://www.sledriding.com/Ohio…, which lists over 100 different sledding locations in select counties. 
6. Volunteer
Between nursing home/assisted living facilities, the community animal shelter, or maybe a soup kitchen nearby, the possibilities are endless. Along with marking these activities on your résumé will come the warm, fuzzy feeling only obtained through volunteering—not wandering around at home out of boredom.

Sophomore studying magazine/news writing at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism; also working on a minor in French. Scripps J-School Ambassador Her Campus Ohio U copy editor Backdrop Magazine writer Interned at West Life/The Press newspapers in Cleveland (Summer 2014) www.emjmac.wordpress.com
Junior Journalism major and Junior editor at Ohio University.