Will Leo Soon Be in Athens?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

When the news was announced that Leonardo DiCaprio could possibly have a reason to come to Athens, Ohio, practically every Ohio University female fainted at the idea.

But why exactly would Leo come to Athens?

DiCaprio has plans to help produce and star in the film “The Crowded Room,” a film based on a man by the name of Billy Milligan. Billy Milligan, originally from Circleville and Lancaster Ohio, committed crimes including robbery, kidnapping, and rape, which he served time for during 1975-1977. He was released in 1977 and later that year, Milligan committed three rapes near Ohio State University, but was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

Milligan showed early signs and was eventually officially diagnosed with Multiple Personalities Disorder. Psychologists diagnosed him 24 different personalities, and used this as his defense in court saying that he was taken over by other personalities during his crimes. He was the first person to successfully use Multiple Personalities Disorder as a defense for his crime in 1978.

From there, Milligan was sent to mental hospitals for almost 10 years and during this time was when he received treatment at Athens Mental Health center, which is now commonly referred to as The Ridges. It was here that he received treatment by Dr. David Caul, who treated Milligan by trying to fuse all this personalities into one. Milligan was transferred to various medical facilities over the course of the 10 years, and by 1988 was released completely from Ohio mental hospitals.

Milligan died in Columbus, Ohio, on December 12, 2014 at the age of 59. If you want more information on the story of Billy Milligan, there is a book written by Daniel Keyes called The Minds of Billy Milligan.

Also, if DiCaprio coming to Athens wasn’t enough, there are new rumors floating around that Rhianna will be appearing with DiCaprio in the film as one of Billy Milligans victims.

The movie is currently in development, so it is not confirmed where filming will take place. However, it would only make sense that they would have to come to Athens, right? Lets hope so!

Just imagine Leonardo DiCaprio walking around Ohio University’s campus. What could be more beautiful sight? 

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).