Why I’m Making a Youtube Channel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As technology advances, more and more people are using social media as a platform to put themselves out into the world. One specific platform a lot of people use to create content is YouTube. If you ever watch YouTube videos, there’s a good chance you know about certain social media stars that have millions of subscribers. These YouTubers are seen as celebrities in the online realm. As someone who has had enough of these lackluster social media stars, I’ve decided to make my own YouTube channel to bring quality content to the site.

I came to the realization that I wanted to create a YouTube account after watching a 30-minute Jake Paul ‘prank’ video. I didn’t understand how a video about pulling a prank, which was really only 20 seconds of the video, could rack up over three million views in one day. If someone like him could gain such a mass following, and not even be that entertaining, then surely I could make videos that people relate to.

I think making a YouTube channel will be a fun adventure. Of course, it will be scary when I post my first video because I don’t know what I’m doing, but at least I’m making something out of myself. Plus, from watching so many terrible videos, I know what to include and what not to include in my own stuff. I have a lot to say about various topics, so making a channel will allow me to find a community of people from around the world that have the same interests as me.

Although I write for various publications and have my own blog, I want to find a new way to present myself. Sometimes in writing, it’s hard to portray specific emotions. Yes, there are tools I can use to imply what I mean, like italics and exclamations points, but saying things as a real person could help me connect better with my audience

I have a few ideas in mind for what my first video’s going to be, but I’m not settling on one particular thought, yet. I want to make a groundbreaking debut, so I want to brainstorm the perfect video segment to start off on a strong note. Who knows, maybe in a few years, I’ll look back at this article and laugh at how I wanted to make a YouTube channel. Or, maybe I’ll show this to my millions of followers and inspire them get out of their comfort zone.

(All photos courtesy of Giphy)

Kara is a senior studying advertising at The University of Georgia. She's hails from Pittsburgh, Pa and thinks of herself as a Pennsylvania Peach living in the South. Find out more about her on her website: www.karaskloud.wordpress.com.