Style

Who Says Fashion and Journalism Can’t Go Hand in Hand?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Zoie Lambert is a 19- year-old sophomore at Ohio University studying journalism on the news and info track. Although she is studying to be a journalist, she is also a fashionista who loves the color lavender and dresses to impress.

Journalism Student Zoie Lambert
Original photo by Mia White

Q: What made you decide to be a journalism major?

A: I think I always knew I was good at writing. But, I never want to fully commit to it, because writing is really a pain. Because, you know, it takes a while to figure out what you want to write. I just had writer’s block all the time, but I knew I had it (what she wanted to write about). I just had to unleash it. So it took me a while to do that. I told my dad I wanted to become a pharmacist before I told him I wanted to be a journalist. I just needed him to shut up about what I wanted to be when I grew up. But, once I knew I wanted to become a journalist, and then I got to Ohio University, there’s so many other things you can do in journalism other than write. So I’m probably going to go into things like broadcasting where I don’t have to write as much.

Q: I know you’re also into fashion, when did that interest start?

A: My mom, my grandma, all of the people around me, all of the women influence around me. We always used to go to church and they would wear their Sunday best, you know, my mom wasn’t going to let me go out looking any type of way. So, I think that’s where it started. It just grew from there. I saw my mom and my aunt who were big shoe addicts. They always liked to go shopping. So, my love for fashion grew from there. And my dad used to always ask me what he should wear in the morning. So I guess they really fed into my love for fashion.

Q: Do you ever make your own clothes?

A: I would say I’m more of a stylist than someone who puts clothes together. I wish I could work a sewing machine, but I don’t think that’s my area of expertise. So, I usually just piece things together. And that’s what I enjoy.

Q: How do you feel as a fashionable journalist attending school online this year?

A: I’m really excited about being home at this time. I feel like if I were on campus I would just be running like a chicken with no head on everywhere. I think there’s time for me to hang out with my family, save money and do work when I feel like it, while still getting all of my credits. So when I go to campus, hopefully, in the spring, I can really get into my major and focus on that. So I think this is just a great time for the beginning of something great.

Mia White

Ohio U '21

A 20-year-old aspiring journalist. I live by the motto "Happiness never goes out of style", and you should too!
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!