When you’re Parent-less on Parent’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

It’s almost Parents Weekend at OU and you know what that means!?

…A ton of drunk adults buying their underaged children drinks at the bar and pretending they are the ones still in college.

But to SOME students, parents weekend is a special time for parents to come down and just catch up, see how we’re doing, take us out to lunch and maybe buy us a few things here and there from the College Bookstore. Most importantly, it’s just a time to rekindle.

(Meghan, her sister and her father)

Unfortunately, my parents will not be joining me this parents weekend and I have mixed emotions towards this. Yeah, it stinks that I won’t be a part of all of the families I’ll see walk into Bagel Street or Brenen’s, but instead I will have my parents all to myself on a different weekend when the whole campus isn’t covered head to toe in families.

See, my parents came down last year (my freshman year) and it was nice. I mean, it was just your normal visit: lunch, shopping and showing off my dorm and new friends. This year, it’s really not as important to me as it was last year. Most of my roommates’ parents aren’t coming down this year, so that definitely makes it a bit easier. Also, I already got a chance to experience parents weekend last year and anything we would do this year would be the same things we did before.

(Meghan and her mom)

My parents aren’t ones that are DYING to go to the football game or wanting to partake in any campus event that will be going on this coming parents weekend. They come down to OU for one reason and that’s to see me. They don’t need to come down on the weekend of the year that all other parents will be here; instead, they want to come down a weekend that is special to both them and me.

So, yeah, at first it sucked getting that text message from my mom that said, “Honey, I don’t think we’re gonna make it to parents weekend this year,” but in all honesty I wasn’t too upset. I don’t need a weekend dedicated to parents to show MY parents how much I appreciate and love all that they do for me. I just need an average weekend to bond with them and let them know how happy I am that they’re supporting my college career here at Ohio University. So thank you, Mom and Dad, for not being your typical college parents. I’ll see you soon!

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!