Style

What To Wear For Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

*Dresses up to sit in their living room* One of the weirdest holidays to dress for is hands down Thanksgiving. What should you wear to sit with your family at home, or to eat dinner at another family member’s home? I like to think that Thanksgiving outfits should be determined by the situation of your holiday and what you’ll be doing. Here are tips on how to successfully dress, and not over or underdress, for Thanksgiving.

Staying home with immediate family

If you’re staying at home just with your immediate family for the holiday, something casual will likely be just enough for this low key event.

Staying home but family and friends are coming over

While you might be staying home, you might want to dress a little nicer since family and friends from around will be coming for dinner. I suggest a nice sweater or cardigan situation.

Going to a family member’s home

Knowing your family, you should be able to judge if everyone will be dressing casual or nice for this holiday. Go with your gut and dress how you think would be best.

Going to see a significant other

Depending on if you will be meeting their extended family for the first time or not, I suggest going for a nice sweater, sweater dress, or a dress with tights or high boots. Ask your SO what everyone else normally wears for Thanksgiving in their family to get a feel of the expectations.

Going out & not at a family member’s home

If your family does dinner outside of the home for Thanksgiving, ask other people in your family to see what they will be wearing. You can also look up to see where the dinner will be to get an idea of the extravagance of the venue.

Thanksgiving = Game Day

If your family is more excited about the sporting events on Thanksgiving, you can easily get away with wearing some game day gear to show your team spirit!

A senior at Ohio University, Hannah Moskowitz is majoring in the news and information journalism track at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. During her time there, she is president, campus correspondent and writes for Her Campus. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog: www.hannahmeetsworld.com. When she's not writing, she loves to paint, hammock with friends and take care of her plants.