What to Watch this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Summer is finally here! Whether you’re staying in Athens, heading home or even hitting the big city, it can be hard to find something to keep you entertained. Luckily, there are a plethora of movies set during the summer that can keep you entertained through the hottest time of the year.

1. Wet Hot American Summer
This is my all time favorite summer movie. Set during the last day of a New England camp, WHAS is a parody of every summer camp and raunchy 80’s comedy in existence. The cast is full of recognizable faces including Amy Poehler and a young Bradley Cooper. It’s infinitely quotable and you’ll be guaranteed quite a few laughs.

2. The Graduate
It’s summer after Ben Braddock’s college graduation. He wanders aimlessly through the hot days, eventually catching the eye of cougar extraordinaire Mrs. Robinson. A classic by all standards, The Graduate is a must view summer movie for the film buff inside everyone.

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Horror doesn’t get much better than this. A van full of teens breaks down in the middle of the sweltering state of Texas. Searching for help, they stumble upon a family of chainsaw wielding crazies and the nightmare begins. Don’t watch the remake and go straight for the classic.

4. Rear Window
Jimmy Stewart is stuck in his apartment with a broken leg and a telescope. As he spies on his neighbors, he sees a man in the apartment across the street possibly murdering his wife. This Hitchcokian thriller is claustrophobic and nerve racking, a combination that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

5. The Parent Trap
Whether you decide to watch the 60’s version of this movie or the more recent re-make starring Lindsey Lohan, you can’t go wrong with this tale of a summer camp switch. It’s a throwback movie that’s perfect for a night in.

6. The Sandlot
Another great piece of nostalgia that can’t be left off the list, The Sandlot is a funny coming of age story that guys and girls can appreciate. It’s funny for a kids’ movie so grab your bff’s and pop this in.

7. Heavy Weights
Ben Stiller as a crazed camp counselor at a camp for chubby kids? Sign me up. This underdog tale is adorable and funny. For anyone who’s ever felt like less than their best, this film is relatable.

8.  Friday the 13th
Jason has haunted the nightmares of teens and the children of irresponsible
parents since it came out. It’s your typical slasher fair, but it also helped define the genre. Attractive people in the middle of the woods? How can something not happen?

9. 500 Days of Summer
So this movie isn’t set completely during the summer, but lush cinematographic shots of a sunny LA and the endearing Zooey Deschanel as the titular character make 500 Days a perfect summer film. The movie is an indie darling with a cute love story. It’s not your typical treacley rom-com that is being made by the dozen.

10. My Girl
It’s impossible not to tear up at least once during My Girl. The story centers around Veda, the daughter of a single father, and her summer adjusting to womanhood and her dad’s new girlfriend. A young Macauly Calkin is absolutely adorable as her best friend and confidant.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.
Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.