What to Watch on Netflix this October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

October is well underway where nights are chilly and spooky feelings of Halloween are in the air. Instead of hitting Uptown, some of us are hitting the couch for our favorite series on Netflix. Not sure what to watch next? Check out 10 horror movies that are a perfect fit for the Halloween season:

1. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

Rosemary’s Baby is rated 98% Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and rated 8.0/10 stars on IMDb. IMDb summarizes, “A young couple move into a new apartment, only to be surrounded by peculiar neighbors and occurrences. When the wife becomes mysteriously pregnant, paranoia over the safety of her unborn child begins controlling her life.”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus calls it, “A frightening tale of Satanism and pregnancy that is even more disturbing than it sounds thanks to convincing and committed performances by Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon.”

2. Fright Night (1985)

Rotten Tomatoes gives Fright Night a 94% while IMDb rates it 7.1/10. IMDb’s quick synopsis is, “When a teenager learns that his next door neighbor is a vampire, no one will believe him.”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says, “Fright Night deftly combines thrills and humor in this ghostly tale about a man living next to a vampire.”

3. Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This 1991 film is Certified Fresh with 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb rates it 8.6/10. “A young F.B.I. cadet must confide in an incarcerated and manipulative killer to receive his help on catching another serial killer who skins his victims,” IMDb summarizes.

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says, “Director Jonathan Demme’s smart, taut thriller teeters on the edge between psychological study and all-out horror, and benefits greatly from stellar performances by Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster.”

4. Candyman (1992)

Rotten Tomatoes rates Candyman 72% and IMDb rates it 6.5/10 stars. IMDb says, “The Candyman, a murderous soul with a hook for a hand, is accidentally summoned to reality by a skeptic grad student researching the monster’s myth.”

Rotten Tomatoes has no Critics Consensus for Candyman yet.

5. From Dusk till Dawn (1996)

From Dusk till Dawn received a 63% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.3/10 on IMDb. “Two criminals and their hostages unknowingly seek temporary refuge in an establishment populated by vampires, with chaotic results,” IMDb says.

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus calls it “A pulpy crime drama/vampire film hybrid… uneven but often deliriously enjoyable B-movie.”

6. The Blair Witch Project (1999)

With an 87% Certified Fresh score on Rotten Tomatoes and 6.4/10 rating on IMDb, this film is a must-see. IMDb’s synopsis says, “Three film students vanish after traveling into a Maryland forest to film a documentary on the local Blair Witch legend, leaving only their footage behind.”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says, “Full of creepy campfire scares, mock-doc The Blair Witch Project keeps audiences in the dark about its titular villain — thus proving that imagination can be as scary as anything onscreen.”

7. Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Although Rotten Tomatoes rates Halloween: Resurrection a 12% and IMDb gives it a 4.0/10, it is undoubtedly a must-see (and Tyra Banks is in it!) IMDb says, “Serial Killer Michael Myers is not finished with Laurie Strode, and their rivalry finally comes to an end. But is this the last we see of Myers? Freddie Harris and Nora Winston are reality programmers at DangerTainment, and are planning to send a group of 6 thrill-seeking teenagers into the childhood home of Myers. Cameras are placed all over the house and no one can get out of the house… and then Michael arrives home!”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says, “The only thing this tired slasher flick may resurrect is nostalgia for when the genre was still fresh and scary.”

8. Dead Silence (2007)

Rotten Tomatoes rates Dead Silence 21% and IMDb gives it a 6.2/10 rating. The IMDb synopsis says, “A widower returns to his hometown to search for answers to his wife’s murder, which may be linked to the ghost of a murdered ventriloquist.”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus calls it “More tasteful than recent slasher flicks, but is undone by boring characters, bland dialogue, and an unnecessary and obvious twist ending.”

9. Insidious Chapter 2 (2013)

Rotten Tomatoes rates Insidious: Chapter 2 38% while IMDb rates it 6.6/10. IMDb says, “The haunted Lambert family seeks to uncover the mysterious childhood secret that has left them dangerously connected to the spirit world.”

Rotten Tomatoes Critics Consensus says, “Insidious: Chapter 2 is decidedly short on the tension and surprises that made its predecessor so chilling.”

10. Stitches (2013)

Stitches is rated 44% on Rotten Tomatoes and 5.7/10 on IMDb. IMDb quickly summarizes, “A clown comes back from the dead to haunt those who took his life during a fatal party mishap.”

Rotten Tomatoes has no Critics Consensus for Stitches yet.

What movie will you watch next? Share with us @hercampusohiou!

Emily is a junior and HCOU's campus correspondent and editor in chief! Check her out on Twitter, @edafffffron (five f's).