This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Never been to a date party? That’s okay! If your student organization or program is hosting one, or you got invited to one as someone’s date, here is everything you need to know (or at least what I know).

What is a Date party?

For those who have never even heard of a date party and are genuinely confused about what it is, here you go. A date party is basically an event, often held by a student organization, where the student org will rent out a space in a bar for you to use. This is paid for by the members of the student org, in the fee that is paid. Everyone’s money adds up to pay the tab, and then you go and drink at the bar until the tab runs out. There is usually a theme, but most of the time the theme is “formal” dress, or what you would wear on a “date”. It is called a date party, I am pretty sure, because you usually have the option to bring a date for an extra fee.

Fees and the tab

Almost every date party you go to will have a per-person fee you will have to pay. This will likely be between $5-20, and the money will usually all go towards the tab. In some cases, the money might go towards food or if the dp is for charity, a portion might go to that, but usually most, if not all, will go towards the tab. Especially if it is a larger organization, there will be a lot of people there trying to order drinks at the same time. My advice, get there as early as you can, like right when it starts. I know it might seem “uncool” to get to a party or whatever early or right on time, these days the norm is to be fashionably late, however, if you want to get a drink quickly, get there on time. The bar front will be packed with people ordering 2-3 drinks each at one time because they want to get as many drinks as possible before the tab runs out. The tab usually runs out within the first hour, sometimes even within 30 minutes. People are selfish and greedy with drinks, so you have to be the same way. Know what you’re going to get, especially because the bartenders will be super overwhelmed, and then order 2 or 3 so you get your money’s worth.

bringing a date

Bringing a date can make date parties a lot more fun, but it can also be stressful. I have only brought a date one time, and it made the experience better because I didn’t really have any friends at the dp, so it was nice. However, I have been to date parties before where I knew a lot of people that I wanted to talk to, and bringing a date can make it awkward. Your date usually doesn’t know anyone there, and you don’t want them to feel abandoned, so you are stuck talking to just them all night. If you bring more than one date, that can help with this because then your dates can talk to each other, while you can talk to them, and break off every once and a while and talk to your other friends there.

When going to a date party, it is important to remember that you don’t HAVE to bring a date. No one will judge you for not bringing one, and as I said, sometimes it can make it easier. It is nice to have a date usually, but if you don’t have one, it isn’t the end of the world. You can always hang out with other people in the organization, and it is a great way to network and get closer to other members.

General advice

Remember to pace yourself. I know I said to get “2-3 drinks at a time” but if you can’t handle all that, DON’T GET THAT MANY. The last place you want to be super trashed is at a date party around a bunch of people you then have to see every week.

Tip your bartenders. For the love of all that is holy, a few extra dollars for the bartender isn’t going to break your bank. Plus, most of the time, if the bartender sees you with some money in your hand for a tip, they might serve you first. Always remember, that the bartender is just there to make money, just like any other job.

The number one thing you should take away from this article, if nothing else, is to DRESS UP. If there is a theme, you better do it. Not dressing the theme just tells me that you are lame and boring and have no fashion sense. If the theme is USA, you better be dressed more patriotic than you have ever been. If the theme is formal wear, you better look like you’re about to walk the red carpet. I don’t want to hear “I couldn’t find anything”, if you could find anything, you didn’t try hard enough.

Finally

The concept of a date party might be kind of scary for some, but after reading this article, I hope you feel better about it. Remember to be responsible and have fun!!

I am a Sophomore majoring in marketing and business analytics with a minor in PR and advertising. I am excited to be writing for HerCampus and sharing my thoughts with y’all! Some fun facts about me are that I enjoy crocheting, watching movies, music, thrifting, theater, and pretty much everything tbh. Happy reading😘😘