This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

As October continues, my Pinterest board is flooded with Halloween costumes. There’s the classic angel and devil duo and the cliche Playboy bunny. Maybe you’ll decide to go as your favorite movie character or a superhero. If you’re stumped on what to wear, the options are simply endless. There are so many things you can dress up as this Halloween. While I can’t tell you exactly what to wear, I will help narrow down the choices by expressing exactly what NOT to wear this weekend.

Someone’s Culture

Ever heard the saying, “my culture is not a costume”? This idea is rooted in the dreadful act of cultural appropriation. Exploiting someone’s cultural identity for a costume is not only hurtful to large groups of individuals but also calls for the continuation of harmful stereotypes within society. As a general rule, don’t wear a costume if you do not understand its origins or if it is representative of a culture that is not your own.

body shaming

There is a wide range of costumes that poke fun at differing body types. In specific, fatphobia is a real thing and it shows during Halloween time. Imagine seeing someone using your body type as the punchline to their joke. These types of costumes are many things: offensive, harmful, stereotypical… but they are certainly not funny.

hyper-Sexualized occupations

It seems that many store-bought costumes are the same- a lot of skin and little accurate depiction. Whether the costume is a nurse, a firefighter, or a teacher there is always a certain point where the line is crossed. It is important to be confident in your costume of choice, but it is also important to realize how harmful it may be to individuals who hold these occupations in the real world. *I would also like to add a schoolgirl outfit is a no-go.*

realistic weapons

There are countless costumes that include some sort of weapon. Perhaps you’re a pirate with a sword. Maybe you’re going to be a cowgirl/boy and plan on completing your outfit with a rifle. Whatever the weapon is… it’s a good idea to go with one that is very obviously fake. It’s never a good idea to cause any type of panic. If you’re questioning whether or not your plastic weapon will look real in a dark place… maybe just ditch it all together! Chances are people will understand your costume without inducing panic.

Mental Illness

Terms like “crazy” and “psycho” are often used to tell Halloween stories, however, we do not often consider how devastating these phrases can be to someone suffering from mental illness. These harmful stereotypes have led to mass-produced costumes that depict the institutionalization of individuals with mental illness as something to fear. In reality, a “mental patient” is not a costume. The only thing scary about a straight jacket is the historical abuse of patients in mental institutions!

Even with these limitations, there are still so many options. Feel free to express yourself this Halloween and get creative! Even if you end up in a t-shirt that says, “Not my Costume”, no one will be upset with you. Just respect the boundaries of those surrounding you. Don’t forget to stay safe and have fun!

Abby is a junior at Ohio University. She is studying Journalism News and Information. In her free time, Abby enjoys painting, reading, writing, and thrifting!