What the heck is Pussy Riot?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Pussy Riot has been turning a lot of heads lately. The name alone causes a few raised eyebrows amongst people skimming their morning paper or listening to the news. What is Pussy Riot and why is that name popping up everywhere all of the sudden?
Pussy Riot is a feminist punk band from Russia. They are known for their neon colored headgear, called balaclavas, and protests against the Russian government and its president Vladimir Putin. In February, the band staged a now-legendary anti-Putin protest in Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral and performed their song “Punk Prayer.”

Since the performance, three performers have been sentenced to jail for ‘hooliganism.’ Many people have called for the band’s release, including Russia’s Prime Minister.

Pussy Riot’s form of gonzo feminism sends a very clear message. The band is willing to do what it takes to spread their message of equality, even becoming martyrs for a new wave of oppressed women everywhere.

Taylor is a graduate of Ohio University and former Co-Editor of Her Campus' OU branch. She would like to eventually work in the publishing industry with hopes of living in New York, San Francisco or Seattle. In her free time, Taylor enjoys reading, volunteering, or hitting up the most hipster joints in town.