This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The Ohio Valley has been heavily criticized on many occasions for its inherent aversion to diversity and its inability to be progressive. It was for this reason that a drag brunch being held at a local restaurant was a welcome surprise for many Ohio Valley locals eager for social change. When S&S Productions, in collaboration with Primanti Brothers of Wheeling, West Virginia, posted of their drag brunch, the initial excitement of it all was palpable; however, not everyone sharing the news was doing so with joyous intent.

Although most were excited that the Valley was showing signs of progress and social acceptance, there were individuals that allowed their fear to impede their ability to see the art of drag as just that: art. Shortly after the news broke, an online campaign of protestors originated to cancel the show. Many claimed that the queens scheduled to preform were doing so with the intent of “indoctrinating their children”, and protesters called for the event to be restricted to an 18+ audience.

This vocal minority, however, unfortunately escalated the situation to a point that was much worse than the already abrasive and discriminatory language being directed at the drag queens, their production company, and the local restaurant. A mere week after the announcement of the event, the drag brunch was canceled by way of the following statement from the production company:

“We were so incredibly excited to bring you a fabulous brunch to Wheeling, WV. Unfortunately due to the amount of threats towards Primantis, the entertainers, & sometimes even patrons, we’ve decided for the safety of everyone involved to cancel the event. We couldn’t wait to party with you all, support the local lgbtqia+ community, and show that a little glitter never hurt anyone. We hope in the near future we can try to bring another brunch to the area – we were only 2 tables away from a fabulous sold out event so we know y’all want us there!”

The protesters of the event took to social media to proclaim their perceived victory, with one individual posting, ” Thank you all so much. Prayers answered. The Primanti Brothers DRAG BRUNCH has been cancelled🙏🙏”

Although the voices of dissent were loud, the resounding voices of support were louder. People across the Ohio Valley were disappointed to loose such a rare opportunity in a place they call home, and made sure their dissent towards the decision to cancel was known. While many took to social media to shame the individuals that had bullied, harassed, and threatened the many parties involved, one group of individuals took a more hands on approach.

Local MMA instructor, Johnny Haught, offered up his own abilities and fighters to serve as security for the event should the company and restaurant wish to reschedule via a social media post.

Haught reiterated his stance on the issue with the following statement: “The drag show is no more offensive than a Broadway show, or a stand up comedy show. In essence, it’s a mix of both. At the end of the day, it is entertainment, not part of some hidden agenda, like some would have you believe.”

There is no question that those with negative opinions on the event were of significant population; however, more Ohio Valley natives aligned with the opinion of Haught. However, with violence against the LGBTQ+ community continuing to be an epidemic, no one is placing blame on S&S Productions for prioritizing the safety of their performers. Instead, members of the community find shame that their neighbors are still full of such hatred and prejudice, especially to the extent in which they are willing to threaten extreme violence.

Unfortunately, this regressive prejudice is not singular to the Ohio Valley. Many lawmakers (within states such as Arizona, South Carolina, Texas, and West Virginia to name a few) are pushing for state legislation that would either place oppressive restrictions on drag shows or make the action of holding them / being a part of them a criminal offense. With so many issues riddling the United States at this time, many people are beginning to wonder why this is the focus of their lawmakers.

Currently, the probability of a drag show taking place within the Ohio Valley is very small, but many Ohioans and West Virginians have hope for change in the future. In a world where you can seemingly be anything, embracing kindness and acceptance in your character is arguably the most important thing an individual can do.

Kennedy Huntsman is currently a senior at Ohio University, majoring in Political Science and pursing a certificate in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Outside of the classroom, she is invovled on campus as the Women's Affairs Commissioner within Ohio University's Student Senate, the Vice President of Phi Theta Kappa, a member of the Phi Beta Kappa society, and Vice President of Phone a Friend. With aspirations to continue her education at an accredited law school in the United States, Huntsman enjoys exploring social, legal, and environmental commentary through her writing.