This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Let’s be blunt: few trends work for every body type, which is a shame considering how good things can look on different bodies. However, Selena Gomez, Jennifer Lawrence and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley seemed to have stumbled on to a trend that works for all of their vastly different bodies – matching separates.

Taylor Swift highlighted matching separates back in summer of 2014, when the leggy blonde took a liking to matching separates in the early summer. Matching separates were huge in the 1930s, and since then they’ve gone from grandma’s cup of tea to your shot of whiskey (although, to be frank, it’s more like your favorite Sbux frap.)

Mugler’s 2016 spring line features several matching separates. Many of their outfits come in cotton, which is the best fabric for spring and summer, because it’s breathable, movable and comfortable. Coming in darker colors is an edgier way to create a bolder look for spring. It’s also unexpected and creates an air of mystery. The strappy cutouts featured on the top are a great way to show some skin, without over exposing yourself.

Photo courtesy: s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

2014 saw a huge wave for matching separates, but most of them were bright and colorful. Dolce and Gabana used lots of floral patterns, usually in tropical colors, with high-waisted shorts and bralets and made out of silky material. The shorts are all a little on the looser side to keep you from feeling like you’re on display – especially with a shorter top. Pairing a bold pattern like D&G with an oversized, double cable knit sweater will ensure that the outfit is warm enough for spring.

Worried about looking too young or bold? Don’t be! In a 2014 interview with the Edmonton Journal, Kate Corbett, a Toronto-based stylist, said that “all ages can pull of this trend – it’s a matter of confidence and personality.”

Corbett also suggested keeping accessories minimal and adding a solid shoe color to keep the look from being too much.

Matching separates extenuate an hour glass figures, even without a pattern. A high-waisted bottom will come over your hips and highlight your waist. Even if the top isn’t cropped, the top will highlight your little waist because of the bottoms. Look for tops that hit at hip level or higher to keep from being swallowed by fabric. Need inspiration? J-Law at the after Oscars party 2016 in Alexander Wang will guide you. It’s the perfect combination of sexy, without showing too much skin.

Patterned separates create curves on straight bodies. Definitely go for a geometric pattern if this is your aim. Do not get spandex material – it doesn’t create curves and makes the whole outfit overwhelming. Chanel your inner T-Swift and get a lighter color to keep from overwhelming your frame. The best bet is a pencil skirt and top that hits just above the hip.

Photo courtesy: For the Love of Bubbly 

Need to take this style from play to work? Wear pants or a pencil skit and pop a solid colored blazer on top with solid colored heels. Not only will it showcase your fun side, but it’s pulled together enough to wear to a meeting with the boss. A less sexy version of Taylor S. at the 2015 VMAs can be your inspiration.

For curvy women, matching separates draws the eye to the top stomach (AKA the smallest part of the body). At the 2014 Teen Choice Award, Jordin Sparks showed up in a bold matching separate, with tight tailored pants and a bra-let. Sparks looked fierce in the bold, dark, tropical pattern, which created an awesome silhouette for her curv-a-licious frame. Eat your heart out, Jason DeRulo.

Although this is a very hot trend now, keeping an eye out for the future isn’t a bad idea, thinks Corbett.

“This is definitely a trend that stands out and is very of-the-moment, but next season we might be able to use the pieces individually or mix and match instead of wearing the co-ordinating set together,” says Corbett. “I think a classic Chanel matching set is something you can have forever but, some of the brighter eccentric prints will have a shorter lifespan.”

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano