This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

TikTok trends usually consist of catchy tunes, rhythmic dances or hilarious references, but as of lately, music artists are flocking to the site to join the “open verse” trend. These trends are accumulating millions of streams, and some artists are even getting noticed.

Russ, a major R&B artist with over 11 million monthly listeners on Spotify recently opened the floor to other creatives to remix his new song “Remember” that released on January 14. Hailey Knox, an artist with over 100 thousand listeners remixed his video which now has almost 400 thousand views. Personally, her remix completely changed his song and is arguable better than the original.

@russ

#duet with @haileyknox this was bananas 🍌🍌🍌🍌🍌

♬ REMEMBER OPEN VERSE CHALLENGE RUSS – RUSS

While the trend is a major PR move for Russ to promote his new song, it is also a great way to collaborate and find new artists. I didn’t know that Russ released this single until I saw the remix with Hailey Knox on TikTok. Today, January 21, Russ released their remixed song which is currently sitting at number 18 on Apple Music’s R&B chart. These trends are not only changing the way artists make music, but they are opening the door to collaborations, new voices and rising stars.

Just recently, a few other artists also released their TikTok collab video which has over 37 million views. This video is arguably the one that started the “open verse” trend, and it definitely will not be the last. Stacey Ryan began the trend with her original song “Don’t Text Me When You’re Drunk” when other artists wanted a verse on her song. She made a challenge in which over 30 thousand users duetted her video. Even big-name users like Dax, quenblackwell and Hank Green took their spin with a verse.

@zai1k_

I wont text you at all 🤣🤷🏾‍♂️ #zai1k #duet #EveryKiss #YerAWizard

♬ original sound – Zai¹ᵏ

The most popular remix was Zai1k’s whose video got over 37 million views. His following got Stacey Ryan’s attention and they released their remix on January 16. Their song has almost 1 million streams.

Music is constantly evolving and social media is changing the way artists are being seen and heard. Today, everyday people have the power to post a video of themselves with the potential to make it big. Do you have what it takes to be on the next popular song?

Lily Biros is the Vice President Co-Campus Correspondent at Ohio University. She is a senior student majoring in Strategic Communication at E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She enjoys writing, eating, and rollerblading and is the Vice President for the Asian American Pacific Islander Student Union (AAPI).