The Best Rom-Coms to watch during this Valentine’s Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Valentine’s Day- some people love it, some people hate it. The same thing goes for romantic comedies. The perfect time to watch these super cheesy movies are during the holiday for love, to make you feel all giddy inside and feel less alone. Here are my top ten Romantic Comedies. Just a PSA: No Christmas rom-coms will be appearing or movies I have not seen (like the Notebook)!

1. Crazy Rich Asians

Where do I even begin??? This movie is the epitome of true love, where it can be amazing and tough. Where family can come between you but love will prosper on! Crazy Rich Asians is just an amazing movie (and also book) to watch with even the whole family, because it makes your heart warm and does not have any awkward sex scenes. This movie is funny and educational of the Singapore culture, crazy, realistic, and just overall perfect! I love watching this movie with anyone: my family, gal pals, or significant other! Such an amazing movie.

2. Mamma Mia!

Now you might be thinking to yourself, hold on…Mamma Mia is a rom-com? Well, it sure is. Even though it is a musical, Mamma Mia has the combination of both comedy and love, whether it is platonic or romantic. This movie makes me want to get up and dance and is perfect to watch with your galentine’s! Get up and dance just like the Dynamos would!

3. To all the boys i loved before

Okay, okay, I get it. Yes, this is one of the cheesiest rom-coms ever but it had to be included. I can rewatch this movie (specifically the first one) over and over again because it makes me feel so giddy and warm inside every time. This movie is a good one to watch with friend or a boyfriend because there is a…well let’s say a steamy scene. Overall, this movie is just so adorable and great to watch when you want to have your attention on the movie at all times! Even the second one is a wonderful movie too!

4. 50 first dates

This one is so heart wrenching and sweet. 50 first dates features Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler, playing the lovers of course. Drew’s character has short term memory so she does not remember Adams character. This movie is the definition of a protective family, keeping the girl-next-door safe, while a man is absolutely in love with her.

5. The big sick

Don’t watch this one alone because it will make you sob. The two main characters fall in love (obvi) but one falls ill. It’s heart wrenching and keeps you on edge the whole time. I suggest watching this with your closest friends, your mom, or your significant other.

6. Barfi

Anyone who knows me, knows I adore Bollywood! Barfi is a wonderful rom-com, where a young woman feels stuck in her marriage and falls in love with someone else. It’s a super unique movie, so if you’re looking for a rom-com you’ve never seen before, this one is a great choice!

7. The princess bride

This is an extremely cherished movie in my family, The Princess Bride always makes us roll over laughing and just overall is a great time. You can watch the Princess Bride with practically anyone. There’s just a sarcastic humor to it that everyone must have to enjoy it!

8. Moonrise kingdom

From a very well known film director, Wes Anderson, comes Moonrise Kingdom which depicts two young kids experiencing new feelings of love, with a very comedic approach. We’ve all had our first experiences, every single one awkward, but that’s a fact of life and Wes Anderson captures it perfectly.

9. Paheli

Just one more Bollywood movie. This movie depicts a young woman who catches the attention of a spirit. This spirit takes form of who her husband is supposed to be, and she eventually finds out that this person that she thought was her husband was in fact this spirit. It is witty but also super emotional!

10. 13 going on 30

A classic goodie, but also an oldie. 13 going on 30 has been a tried and true for many people! It features a 13 year old girl wishing she was 30, and she wakes up in the body of her at 30 years old! It’s very funny and great to watch with the family, especially parents who grew up in the 90-Early2000s!

Romantic Comedies are a staple to many peoples Valentine’s Days whether they are single or celebrating with a partner. I hope you found a movie you would like to watch with whoever you celebrate with, and I am sorry if your favorite rom-com is not on here! I hope you all have a safe and loving Valentine’s Day!!!

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!