This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

This year, Ohio University is finally hosting their Homecoming Parade after a year hiatus from COVID. The parade consists of clubs and organizations who walk through campus and spread the word about what they do. This year, a new organization is joining the parade’s march in which they are making Ohio University history. The Asian American Pacific Islander Student Union, otherwise known as the AAPISU is making their mark in which they will be the first ever Asian American Pacific Islander organization on campus. The advisor for the club is Yi-Ting Wang and the organization was formed in 2021 by a group of students. They decided that they wanted to make an impact at the university by creating an inclusive community which has resulted in bonding activities such as volleyball games, movie nights, tea excursions and Monday dance classes. The newly formed club has 62 members and is accepting of people from all AAPI backgrounds. This Saturday, the AAPISU is going to march through Athens to spread the word, recruit more members, make more friends and become more prominent in the community.

This Saturday, I will one of the members who is going to march with the AAPISU. I may or may not be holding the dragon, we’ll see about that one. I am excited to be apart in something so momentous and I am delighted to use my platform and my voice to spread awareness about the club. As someone who hasn’t had many non-white friends in the past, this organization really paved the way for me to meet people who are like me. The AAPISU isn’t just a social organization, it is a great way to get involved and learn about the culture at Ohio University. It’s crazy that a club like this just formed in 2021, but it’s better later than never!

The creation of this club is also timely, given that COVID created a sense of fear and uncertainty towards the AAPI communities. Slogans like #stopasianhate have been seen throughout social media, and the establishment of this club is crucial because it shows people that strength is found in numbers and that everyone has your back. You can find this organization on Instagram and LinkedIn where they continue to promote inclusivity and awareness.

This Saturday, when you and your friends are making their way down to Athens for Homecoming, make sure to check out the AAPISU, because trust me, you won’t regret it.

Lily Biros is the Vice President Co-Campus Correspondent at Ohio University. She is a senior student majoring in Strategic Communication at E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. She enjoys writing, eating, and rollerblading and is the Vice President for the Asian American Pacific Islander Student Union (AAPI).