This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Fall is coming to a close, and as we move into the winter season, we have one last hoorah of fall festivities, this being Thanksgiving. In the opinion of many, it is known to be one of the most fun and (full)filling holidays! Although this year’s festivities may be a little less populated because of the newest least wanted guest at your Thanksgiving party, the Coronavirus (which has most definitely outlived its invite to the year 2020), it doesn’t mean that your family fun has to be any less delicious. Most Thanksgiving dinners tend to have their share of showstoppers. Things like turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, and foods along those lines tend to be the things that appear on the top of the list as a Thanksgiving must-have. In my family, we have one extra favorite, Potato Soup. It might sound bland, maybe even a little lame, but over time this silly addition to the holiday food roster has stuck around. I never liked potato soup. I didn’t understand the appeal. Until one day, I made it. Once you have put your heart, soul, and maybe even some tears into a dish that will be on the table in front of your family, ready to be ridiculed, your heart will be open and fall in love with the item you’ve created. 

Recipe Requirements

• Heavy Whipping Cream (1 cup)

• Chicken or Vegetable Broth (2 cups)

• Milk (½ cup)

• Potatoes (1 ½ pound)

• Butter (3 tablespoons)

• Onion (1 onion)

• Garlic (to taste but would suggest at least three cloves)

• Cheese (personal choice, but cheddar is suggested) (2 to 3 cups)

• Sour Cream (½ cup to 1 cup)

• Pepper (to taste)

• Cajun seasoning (to taste)

• Paprika (to taste)

• Bacon and Chives as garnish if desired. 

Peel and slice the potatoes, onion, and garlic. Place them in your crockpot and put in your wet ingredients, i.e. the heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, and milk. The potatoes need to be mostly submerged in the liquid ingredients. If they are not, depending on the desired thickness, add either slightly more chicken broth for less thick soup and heavy whipping cream for a thicker consistency. Put the crockpot on low and let cook for six hours. After the initial cook time, open your crockpot, and the potatoes should be still submerged. It is time to add in your sour cream, cheese, and seasonings to taste. Allow these to somewhat melt into the soup. Then blend either by hand or with a mixer to your desired consistency. The soup is completed at this point if that is what you choose. If not, you may cook the bacon, chop the chives into small pieces, and place along with cheese on top of the freshly cooked potato soup! I hope that my holiday tradition may make it into your family’s menu. Happy Thanksgiving and happy eating!

Carly Getter is a Junior in the Communications Sciences and Disorders major at Ohio University with plans to become an audiologist. She loves to read, drink coffee, and love on her bunny Keeto!
Caitlin Hunt

Ohio U '21

Caitlin Hunt is a fourth year journalism news and information student at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism. On campus, Caitlin is involved with the Ohio Fellows, Cru, and is a Templeton Scholar. She has served as a TODAY Show intern and a NAJA fellow. In her free time, she takes in as much pop culture as she can! She is always watching tv shows and movies, listening to music and obsessing over the latest Broadway musical. Check out her monthly blog, Caitlin's Pop of Culture to see what she's watching!