Stuck in that Mid-Semester Rut?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

So, if you’re anything like me, you’re a college junior and you’re feeling pretty freakin’ down lately. You don’t know why, but for some reason you just cannot find anything that motivates you anymore. Going out isn’t as fun, socializing has gotten dull, and you want to spend all your time either a) sleeping or b) binge watching the Foster’s.

I’ve let this “rut” get me down for about two months now (I know I said it’s a mid-semester rut, but for me it’s lasted longer) and it’s about time I do something about it. After going back and forth with my mom via text message, I’ve decided it’s time I pick myself up and stop feeling so bad for myself. Here’s how:

1. Find a counselor!

It’s never bad to get that extra help and Ohio University provides quick and easy access to psychological services. Don’t feel ashamed; it’s totally normal for college students wanting to talk to a counselor whether it be for test anxiety or just straight up needing to vent.

2. Go on walks

Set aside a few times during the week to go on a nice walk. Maybe not on the rainy or super-hot days, but put on your walking shoes and grab a friend. Enjoy the path along South Green and get out there! The fresh air, and just straight up BREATHING may do the trick.

3. Eat healthier

Eating healthy in college isn’t always the easiest thing to do. I know that I like to binge on chocolate whenever I’m feeling down. Although it does feel good in the moment, it doesn’t always leave you feeling too good afterwards. Eat your fruits and veggies, seriously!

4. Get dinner with a friend

Whether it a be a roommate or a friend you haven’t seen much this semester, grab a bite to eat and just chat. Ya never know the smile it could leave on your face!

5. Spend a night in with your best friends watching funny movies

You don’t always have to go out and get drunk, ESPECIALLY when you genuinely don’t want to. Nothing wrong with a night in watching your favorite movies, heating up 3-4 bags of popcorn and sippin’ on some cheap wine.

And lastly…. tell yourself that you’re going to be okay. Whether your rut is caused by not knowing what direction to take when it comes to school, or it’s because you still aren’t quite over your ex-boyfriend, don’t give up. We all go through rough phases and the important part is that it’s JUST A PHASE. You’re in college, things are bound to get stressful every once in a while. Remind yourself that it’s okay to be going through a hard time. I know I am.