This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

The grass is growing greener, the sky is looking bluer, and the sun is shining brighter. It is springtime in Athens and students cannot wait to get spring quarter started off right. Girls are packing away their UGG boots and trading them in for cute wedges and sandals. Bracelets and necklaces are replacing heavy scarves and gloves, and sundresses are taking up the spaces in closets where winter coats used to be. This spring season, the fashionable trends include some returning favorites, decade throwbacks, and classic wardrobe staples.

April showers may bring Mayflowers, but those flowers aren’t only rooted to the ground. Floral print has been a perennial springtime favorite. Flowers are one of the strongest symbols related to spring, so it is only natural that floral designs return with the break of spring. Floral prints, just like real flowers, come in all different shapes, colors, and sizes. The key to expressing your inner mother nature through your clothing is to find a pattern that works for you. Junior Leah Fry has done just that, “I like smaller floral print, especially in tops and tanks,” she said. “It is fun and youthful but can also look mature. Floral print easily adds color to any outfit.” We’re a fan of these shorts from Forever 21

The easiest way to cool off during the warmer months is to show a little bit of skin. An obvious way to do so is by wearing a pair of shorts and a tank top, but you can give your outfit a trendy twist by trading a longer tank for a midriff bearing crop top. Sophomore Allison MacDonald explains her love for the crop top by explaining that they are “a cute way to obtain a casual, laid back look, as opposed to wearing sweatpants and t-shirts.” Some people object to this ‘90s inspired trend, claiming that it is too racy and that the look is too difficult to pull off. However, when worn correctly, a crop top can be a trendy alternative to your tired tank top. When paired with a high wasted skirt or pair of pants, the crop top shows minimal skin while still keeping its effortlessly stylish vibe. The crop top can come in varying lengths, falling anywhere from inches above the belly button to barely above the belt. Anyone in favor of the crop top can find one that fits just right. Try this one from Americanapparel.com:

Spring is usually associated with the pastels and vibrant colors portrayed by the season’s foliage. However, a popular color scheme for this season’s fashionistas is quite opposite of the usual spring hues. Neutral colors are breaking the barrier this spring. One way to make this look work is with a classic white head-to-toe look. Although the thought of a monochromatic outfit might make some cringe, when executed properly this look is classy and fashionable. If a whiteout is too much for you to handle, accent your outfit with colorful accessories and shoes. A second way to stand out while wearing neutrals is to mix and match different shades. Try a layered took of light and dark varieties of taupes and beiges. With neutral colors, it can be very easy to go from fab to drab. To avoid this problem, try not to pair two pieces of the same shade in one outfit. The neutral look works best with sundresses and tailored pieces like blazers and pants. Try these:

Let your clothes shine this spring and stand out among the crowded brick streets by choosing a trend that suits your style (or start a new one of your own!). If you are looking to update your wardrobe within the confines of our fine town, look no farther than Court Street. It may seem like only bars and eateries line the bricks, but Athens has a few fashion boutiques tucked away.

For those of you looking to capture the essence of spring fashion by sporting a lovely floral print, stop by The Other Place. The Other Place carries a number of floral dresses, skirts, and tops. It also has a wide variety of Vera Bradley bags and merchandise. Spring also brings along rainy days, which means to keep your pretty little feet nice and dry you’ll need a reliable pair of rain boots. The Other Place shelves a collection of colorful patterned rain boots.

Farther down the street is a little boutique, Figleaf. If you are looking for neutrals, then Figleaf is definitely a place to stop by. With all of its clothing organized by color, finding exactly what you are looking for is easy. Figleaf also has an excellent collection of jewelry and accessories to choose from to help enhance your look.

While you are experimenting with your spring style, be sure to check out some of the hidden treasures that Athens has to offer. If you want a fun and flirtatious spring look, put on a flowing floral sundress from The Other Place and enjoy a scenic walk around campus. When the weather gets too hot to handle, show some skin and experiment with crop tops to cool yourself off and flaunt your carefree fashion sense. If you are taking what you learned in class and putting it to good use by applying for a summer internship, search the racks of Figleaf for a stylish and classy neutral outfit. Whatever the occasion, Athens has a lot to offer a seasonal fashionista.  

Rebekah Meiser is a senior studying Magazine Journalism at Ohio University, with a split specialization in Italian and Art History. Like many Italians, she is obnoxiously proud of her heritage and fully embraces it by consuming embarrassing amounts of pasta, bread and cheese. She currently owes a scary amount of money to the government, but continues to masochistically check Net-a-Porter and Urban Outfitters online for beautiful items that she lusts but cannot afford. Rebekah goes to school in the middle of some of the best cornfields in Ohio. Although she finds the location less than ideal, she has become an avid star-gazer thanks to the unpolluted sky. A true lover of fashion, her friends make fun of her for playing dress up as often as she does, but she’s not one to be discouraged. Rebekah also loves to run (read: alternate between jogging and walking), read fashion blogs, bake, and read magazines (of which she owns a forest-worth). She hopes to live and work in New York City after she graduates in the spring.