Spectacles at Starbrick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

To the urbanized eyes of most Ohio University students, Nelsonville Square may not look like much, but the contents of the boxy, red brick storefronts will enthrall even the most sophisticated city slicker.

The Starbrick Cooperative Gallery, overseen by Ann Judy, sits among these storefronts, sandwiched between P.D.Q Carryout, where a plastic water bowl welcomes stray dogs outside the front door, and The Plaid Butterfly, a gift shop. Its wide golden sign identifies the spot and interrupts the nondescript brick that encases the strip of storefronts, suggesting to visitors that this place is unlike the rest of the shops in the square.

Taking a closer look, complete intrigue is unavoidable. Windows, standing 9 feet tall and 6 feet wide, align either side of the entrance, creating a tunnel of reflecting lights, cutout snowflakes and faux evergreen boughs amongwhich various artworks are displayed. Glazed pottery, photographs, hand-beaded tiaras, dream catchers, tie-dyed masterpieces and woodland fairies vie for attention in the tunnel before the glass door opens with the musical toll of wind chimes.

So many unexpected spectacles converge inside the gallery that it is impossible to know where to look, but the stark white walls trimmed in sea green and matte gold do what they can to direct the eye. From wizard-themed woodwork (think wands, potion cups and dulcimers) carved by Paul Kearns to pottery made from clay dug locally by Sunshine Lane to the Starbrick’s latest feature: clay sculptures of scenes from the Beijing Opera, complete with red and black beaded costumes and headpieces, the gallery is the epitome of eclecticism.

“My interest, my specialty, is sculpting heads,” says Sue Hazen, founding member of the Starbrick and sculptor of the Bejing Opera exhibit.

The Starbrick is a co-op gallery, meaning that artists must pay a fee to become a member and contribute a percentage of their profits in order to display their work. This system has supported the gallery since it opened 10 years ago. Housing 30 local and regional artists whose mediums run the gamut from painting to renewable fiber arts, the gallery has transformed rural Nelsonville into a haven for both traditional and quirky Appalachian art.

Be sure to thank your tour guide as you leave, chances are their work is placed somewhere in the gallery and you’ve been keeping them from practicing their dulcimer.

The Starbrick Cooperative Gallery is located at 21 W. Columbus St. in Nelsonville, Ohio. Hours: Monday – Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday noon to 5 p.m. Featured exhibits change on the final Friday of every month. Various classes offered monthly, prices vary. Call 740-753-1011 for more information, or visit www.starbrick.com

Photos courtesy of Google

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.