From Sorority House to First House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

After joining a sorority, nothing seemed more exciting than moving into the house with 40– or more– of my closest friends. After a while, the house seems almost like a dorm due to lack of personal space, loss of dining hall food, and loud girls stomping about above me. By the end of junior year, I wanted nothing more than to have my own home. If only I knew the struggle that came with being a homeowner…

Living in a sorority requires one payment a month. Renting a home at school requires paying water bills, trash bills, electric bill and other expenses that you never really thought about before.

In the sorority house, everything is decorated beautifully. The living room is adorable and there are pictures all over the walls. When you move into your first college house there are a lot of decorations needed to cover the holes in the wall and the dirty floor, not to mention the abundance of twinkle lights needed to make it girly enough.

There is a reason laundromats exist, and that is because most college houses or apartments do not have a washer and dryer– no more walking down the hall and using a quarter to wash three loads.

Missing the dining hall food is nothing compared to missing the sorority cook’s food. There will no longer be at least two meals provided for you, especially after a long day.

The biggest adjustment is not being in the same room as your roommates. There will be some separation anxiety when you are getting ready to go out in a different room.

Overall, having a place to call your own– with no rules– is definitely the way to go senior year. Just be prepared to split bills and have to text your roommate to see is s/he is home or not.

(All Gifs courtesy of giphy.com)

(Photo from Wikipedia) 

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!