Sober Activities to Do During Mom’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Has your mom been planning her trip to OU Mom’s Weekend for a while? If yes, chances are that she booked a hotel months in advance, saved up plenty of money to spend on this one weekend – perhaps even on a flight into Ohio only for a couple of days.

Photo from Company Student

Your mom who’s been looking hella forward to this weekend isn’t looking to spend all her time at the bars or sip Natty on all your friends porches; she’d probably love to see how cool the town you live in truly is. While seeing your mom embarrass you by winning a game of beer pong is plenty to look forward to, there are plenty of sober activities to do with her as well:

Go for a hike.

Photo from HCOU

If you’ve already checked Strouds, Radar Hill and Bong Hill off your bucket list, then you kind of have to check it off of hers. This weekend, the two of you are very likely to consume more calories than usual so some time outside will be good for both of you.

If Mom is coming from a big city like Columbus or Cincinnati, then showing her the natural beauty of Athens will be a true gift. Strouds has a huge lake, and pretty rad trails; Radar will allow her to see all of Athens from a distance; Bong will show her just how jaw dropping yOUr campus is.

This activity will cost very little – all you’ll need to pay for really is the gas to drive to these places. If that sounds like a deal, then remind your mom to pack some sturdy shoes and outdoor-friendly clothes!

Have a MemAud date.

Photo from Stanford Flipside

What would a big Ohio University weekend be without a million performances to choose from at MemAud or other performing venues? Pretty dull.

Ohio Women’s Ensemble and Singing Men of Ohio have spent numerous rehearsals to present a full­concert to students and their families. The show will take place in Templeton Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Saturday of Mom’s Weekend at 2:00 p.m. Even if you have few connections to these choirs, your mom might love to see dozens of non­music majors perform challenging music.

On that note, the two choirs also have more selective fully­auditioned a cappella groups, Title IX (women) and Section Eight (men). Both groups are also entirely directed by students. Unlike the choirs above, however, these groups only perform pop music. Yep, that’s right! Expect an eclectic mix of song arrangements: “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera, “Africa” by Toto and even “Lose Yourself” by Eminem. Concert will happen at 6:30 at Baker Center Theater.

Beyond these two groups, Blue Pencil Comedy has two​ shows (one for Friday and the other for Saturday, both at 8 p.m. in Baker Center) planned. If your mom is overwhelmed with work or other life stresses, she’ll definitely need a laugh. Both shows are created to entertain mothers from all walks of life.

Do something meaningful.

Photo from Cadah

There is nothing like participating in a charitable activity with a family, is there? Luckily, this weekend includes the 16th Annual Mom’s Weekend Walk for a Cure. The walk will benefit breast cancer research and Susan G. Komen Columbus, and wonderful incentives like T-shirts will be included first come, first serve. Registration can be found online, and the event starts at 9:00 a.m. sharp at Ping.

Experience Athens in style.

Photo from Dreamstime

Get ready for some lights, camera and fashion as the Ohio University Fashion Associates (main student organization for Retail Merchandising students) has a big fashion show planned. Every year, this organization puts on a themed fashion show, featuring clothes from many local retailers, free food, raffle prizes and performances from campus performers.

If you can’t already guess it, this year’s theme will be Hollywood. Woot, woot! Perhaps you’d like to win something cool from raffle, which does include full­sized free goodies. Raffle will be at noon and the show will be at 1 p.m. in Baker Ballroom.

Put some food on the table.

Photo from The Starving Chef

Your mom introduced you to so many foods when you were young, and now it’s your turn. Why not let her try a Casa dish or the amazing hummus at Salaam? She’ll definitely want to come into town more often if you let her.

For cheaper options, she must stand in line with you at Big Mamma’s Burritos or through the hassle at Wings Over.

Whatever the two of you choose to eat, you’ll be sure to bring out her inner foodie!

No matter what you choose to do this weekend, have fun with your mom!

Sophia Borghese is a Strategic Communications major at Ohio University. She is always excited to write stuff for Her Campus.  Sophia has writen for her university's fashion magazine, Thread, for over three years, and loves to write beauty related articles the most. Many of the makeup looks in the magazine are done by her as well. Most people associate her with bright lipstick, and her Instagram account Sophia Makeup Artistry. She loves to stalk great makeup artists, read up on the latest beauty trends and shop at Sephora whenever she can.  Alongside her interests in beauty, she is obsessed with sushi, pugs, Madonna and her favorite band Incubus.  Professionally speaking, she wants to continue to be a makeup artist, and work as a freelance beauty writer while partaking in the beauty PR world. 
Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)