Picture of mugs made by Quinn Schmalenberg
Photo by Quinn Schmalenberg

Small Business Spotlight: Quinn Ammorette Ceramics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Quinn Schmalenberg is a firecracker of creativity. She is one of the most powerful, uplifting, cool people you could ever meet. Her ceramics are totally kick-ass and her personality is a sunflower in a field full of roses! Keep reading to learn about how amazing she is!

Picture of Quinn Schmalenberg
Quinn Schmalenberg

Q: What is your name? What are your pronouns? What is your age?

A: My name is Quinn Schmalenberg, my pronouns are she/her, and I am 26 years old.

Q: What is your business’ name and what do you create?

A: My business’ name is ‘Quinn Amorette Ceramics’ and I make functional pottery with sculptural and decorative elements

Q: How long have you been making ceramics? Professionally?

A: I have been doing ceramics on and off for nine years. I don’t have any formal training, most of what I have learned is from myself. I started with ceramics when I was about 16 almost 17, during a class of high school when I was a senior. I started selling in a small co-op at the end of 2019. I started going by ‘Quinn Amorette Ceramics’ in March of 2020 when I started social media under that name.

Q: How long have you owned a business? What was the process of creating your business like?

A: I would say I have owned my business for like a year and a half, but I am still a sole proprietor. While, I was practicing as an LMT (pre-COVID), I was still working and firing at the dairy barn. Then COVID happened so ceramics were all that I had to do in that time period. The plan was always to get my own kiln and at that point, I had a wheel. I would definitely say the pandemic kicked me into gear. It gave me that downtime to focus on ceramics. I see COVID as a blessing in disguise to focus more on my creativity. I made the Instagram page to sell the small inventory that I had, I had friends and family follow me, and then people found me on Instagram and started sharing stuff. It started organically growing from there. It gave me a purpose in the time of COVID.

Tarot Card Mug by Quinn Schmalenberg
Photo by Quinn Schmalenberg

Q: What is your favorite tarot card? Your favorite glaze? Favorite medium of clay?

A: For my favorite tarot card, from the major arcana, I would say the star. If I was talking about the minors, I am very drawn to the nine of pentacles because it is very about that abundance mindset, acknowledging and appreciating what you have accomplished. Paying attention to your metaphorical growing garden. For my favorite glaze, I use mostly commercial glazes right now. I would say right now I always layer at least two different glazes. My most used glaze is Obsidian from Amaco. It is a really nice black and it is great for layering. I also use Malachite and Smokey Merlot. My favorite medium of clay is this red clay called ‘Nelsonville Red.’ All of the clays I use are from Columbus Clay, but ‘Nelsonville Red’ is a special recipe that Jennifer L’Heureux created. It is a really rich red speckled clay.

Q: What are your hobbies? What do you like to do?

A: So, now that I have turned this hobby into a job, my main hobby now is performing with the burlesque crew, ‘Goddess Collective Burlesque.’ It combines the elements of dance and theatre. The next burlesque show is on December 11th at Athens on Court (a wine bar). Of course, I love to go hiking and spend time with my partner and our dogs.

Q: Have you always lived in Athens? Did you attend Ohio University?

A: I have always lived in Athens, I grew up in the area. I went to OU for one year and I was going for pre-social work but it didn’t end up being what I wanted to do. I ended up finishing at Hocking College and got my license as a massage therapist.

Photo by Quinn Schmalenberg

Q: What inspires you to create?

A: I was homeschooled until the seventh grade and my mom made sure that we were connected to the arts. I grew up doing performing arts and dancing at a studio for about 12 years. I also did theatre and voice. I had never done visual arts because drawing is very two-dimensional. Clay is an easier medium to handle for me, it’s easier for me to make something that is three-dimensional. I have always been connected to the arts, inspiration just comes naturally. Doing ceramics is a very therapeutic thing.

Q: What message are you trying to spread through your artwork? Why do you create what you create?

A: I guess I really enjoy pretty things. That may be is too simple of an answer but it is true. I want people to enjoy their morning coffee. I believe that even functional objects should be works of art.

“I Want people to enjoy the mundane more”

Mug by Quinn Schmalenberg
Photo by Quinn Schmalenberg

Q: What is the hardest part of being a business owner and creator?

A: I think you can really get stuck in the mindset of ‘I need to make what’s gonna sell’ instead of what’s making you happy. I have to redirect myself a lot to make sure I create what I want because there is a lot of pressure to create now that I have a business. I have to make sure I am making work that makes me happy and work that will sell. It is a very vulnerable feeling to put my work out in the world, it can be disheartening to see your posts not get enough views because the amount of views mean amount of sales. I have to make sure I am taking care of my mental health and my business at the same time. Finding balance.

Q: What is your biggest success when it comes to your business?

A: I would say being able to go full time within the first year is definitely something I am most proud of. It feels surreal still. I am most proud of making my art a sustainable living. 

Q: What advice do you have for aspiring business owners?

A: Going back to what I said earlier about being authentic with your work, that is really huge.

“Find your own style, find your own voice, find things that make you happy”

Picture of Quinn Schmalenberg
Photo by Quinn Schmalenberg

Q: If you had one person to thank throughout your journey, who would it be and why?

A: That’s hard because I have had so much support from my family, friends, and the community. I think I will say my first ceramics teacher, Amy Ashcraft, was always encouraging and understanding. She let me be in the advanced ceramics class after ceramics 1. Even after high school, she has always been really supportive of me. Whenever I have questions she is always the first person I go to. Thank you, Amy!

Q: Do you have any upcoming shows?

A: Yes, I will be vending with ‘Not Your Mamas’ craft market on November 20th. That is in Columbus Short North, it is at the Greek Orthodox cathedral. It is from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. My first holiday shop in Athens will be at Arts West on December 4th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and December 5th from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

You can find Quinn Amorette Ceramics at QuinnAmoretteCeramics on instagram and at https://quinnamoretteceramics.com/

Hi! I am Maddie and I am from Kent. I love crystals, plants, music, and I am really into chakra cleansing. I hike and do yoga during my free time! My major is music education and my dream job is to be an elementary music teacher. I am in a treble ensemble called Bella Voce, a music fraternity called Sigma Alpha Iota, and Nafme!